Formula for amount of gravel I need

Been looking online but am not apparently punching in the right keywords. What is the formula for finding the about of gravel I need for approximately a 20 feet by 20 feet square. (For extending my turnaround.)

Reply to
stryped

volume in cubic feet is the product of the lengths of sides in cubic feet. So, if you have a rectangular lot that is 20 by 20 by 0.5 foot (0.5 being the depth of gravel), your volume is 20*20*0.5 = 200 cubic feet of gravel. A cubic yard is 9 cubic feet, so, in this example, you would need 200/9 = 22.2 cubic yards of gravel.

Ignoramus23776

A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet. 3*3*3 = 37

So 200/27 is 8 yards of gravel

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder" ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
Roy

If the stone yard/mill/mine sells by weight, you will need about 10-10.5 tons.

8 yards times 2600# per yard equals 20,800# or 10.5 tons. (based on the weight of crush and run limestone).
Reply to
Greg Postma

You can also figure around 3400 pounds per yard so the 8 yards would be

27,000 pounds or 13-1/2 t>>volume in cubic feet is the product of the lengths of sides in cubic

Errol: that is **27**

Reply to
RoyJ

oops!

Ignoramus23776

That's about 6,1m x 6,1m. Assuming you make it 0,15m high, you get about

5,6 cubic meters.

BTW: Don't believe the other posters that do their math in feet and yard, these are _illegal_ units! :-P

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

About 10 1/2 ton IF using #2 crushed. More if using smaller

Formula??? I just punch it into my Project Calc Plus (10 bucks at Home Depot and came with a 12 foot tape measure as well)

Reply to
Steve W.

In article , Roy wrote: :27 cubic feet = a cu yd :NOT 9

Shhhh!!!!

I want to hear his lament about having 22 cubic yards of gravel in a huge pile at the end of his driveway. ]-)

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Reply to
RoyJ

Not as bad as the church men's club who got the idea of paving a couple of parking spots for the minister and organist with hot mixed asphalt - Fortunately the truck driver was a quick thinker who knew that there was a crew just finishing a driveway nearby. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Six, "1m x 6", "1m". What's this list mean?

Imperial is still legal in USA. :-P~

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

Why dont you take a long walk off a short pier.

Reply to
stryped

You got me trapped! :-[ We use "," as a decimal seperator. Read "6.1m x 6.1m" etc.

Metrical law enforcement troops are on their way ...

;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller