Fwd: Dangerous way of getting 220V from 110V outlets

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 05:59:16 -0500, Bill brought forth from the murky depths:

balancing the load. What are

If you're going to run several 120v machines at once, you try to balance the current draw between the legs so you don't pop breakers. For 240v, make separate runs from separate breakers. When I removed the 240v baseboard heaters in this new (to me) house, I had several spare breakers. I ran 3 lines for the larger shop equipment (all WW) in 3 areas of the shop and it worked fine. The table saw, bandsaw, dust collector, and lights are all on separate circuits.

-------------------------------------------------- I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2003 (from Oregon) ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Larry Jaques

Thanks Larry, and Gary!!

Your posts set the record straight. The reason I asked is that somewhere in my dark past I was told that it was for reasons of economy. The reason being was that the meter *was said* only to read current through the high side and that value was simply doubled in calculating your usage. Meaning that if you were to only use one side at any given time then you true usage would be exactly half of what you were being charged. (so that is just a fable)

So thanks aga> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 05:59:16 -0500, Bill

balancing the load. What are

Reply to
Bill

Yea, I learned a few things too.

dark past I was told that it was

read current through the high

if you were to only use one side

being charged. (so that is just a

of balancing the load. What are

Reply to
Scott Moore

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:04:18 GMT, "Scott Moore" wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Well, one of them was. That's where Einstein started out IIRC.

****************************************************************************************** Whenever you have to prove to yourself that you are not something, you probably are.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

I think this is one of the great paradoxes. However, he was a Swiss patent examiner. Maybe they have their act together :)

Reply to
Scott Moore

Einstein was no rocket scientist, he knew nothing about plumbing.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Though he did say that he'd have liked to have been a plumber. He even held an honorary union card in Chicago.

(scroll almost all the way down to the bottom)

Reply to
Tony Hursh

Bill,

A request please. Could you find another way of spam-proofing your e-mail address in these? They cause my system to complain (and fail) when trying to save your articles. The '(' and ')' in the address are the ones causing the problems. If you could (as I have done in your modified address above) use '-' instead of parens, it will not cause problems to anyone (except maybe the spammers, I hope) -- because the '-' is a legal character in an e-mail address, even if it is not right for yours.

Thanks, DoN.

P.S. I'm posting this, because you are not the first to do this, and I figure the more people who know about it, the better for everyone.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hi Don

I have no problem with taking the () parentheses out. I simply have been experimenting with a way to smudge my address, *that I like* and is not to intrusive to others.

Bill

"D> >

Reply to
Bill Darby

I understand why you are doing this, and I agree that it is (unfortunately) desirable.

Dashes '-', underscores '_', spelling out the dot (perhaps in all upper case (e.g. ), or something similar should work.

I doubt that the parens create a problem for most people, but for a unix system which is using shell processing, it does strange things there. (I guess that I could dig into the source code and make it modify things, so your wg(dot) snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca would become:

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca

or something similar -- but I don't know what I might break doing that. :-)

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols