galvanizing old car frame

this car frame need some sections re-constructed due to rust, and enough other work that everything comes off the frame is an actual frame, has
plastic body
has anyone ever galvanized a car frame - what prep is needed beside basic oil/dirt/paint removal
it could be electrolytically de-rusted (tank made from large poly sheet and wood frame on concrete floor), or will the galvanizing process handle leftover surface rust?
only a few of these car frames made, buying another means basically buying another car
You might look into phosphoric acid for the cleaner. It does remarkably good work. A bit costly if the frame is immersed in a tank, though. Maybe a shower?
Hul

On 23/08/18 12:25, unk wrote:

Depending on the galvanising plant capability it doesn't need to be de-rusted just degreased and paint removed. I have a couple of galvanising plants in the region and the better one acid dips the part which removes rust and mill scale, then dips in flux, salammoniac IIRC, then the zinc bath. Extra galvanising can be applied by a heavy sand blast prior to dipping. If the car frame is closed it may require
allow the frame to drain, if an open C channel then likely no venting/drain required. A mate had a Marcos chassis galvanised and it
get the venting and dipping perfected for consistent results with the galvanisers.
On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 6:04:44 PM UTC-4, David Billington wrote:

ic

le

I guess that was one of the later Marcos chassis. (the early ones were made of plywood. <g>)
--
Ed Huntress

Yes, my understanding is they switched to the steel chassis when there was a supply issue with the high quality marine plywood previously used for the wooden chassis. I knew a racing driver who recounted a tale of being in a wooden chassis Marcos IIRC when the flywheel came off the engine and started sawing through the ply, no damage done to him fortunately.
On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 12:46:11 PM UTC-4, David Billington wrote:

e:

ugh

as

asic

et

ndle

,
and

s to

made of plywood. <g>)

Hmm. Wow, that could really shorten your legs. <g> I've read also that maki ng the wooden chassis was very labor-intensive.
--
Ed Huntress

I like that the Internet allows us to create new and modify old aspects of language that have outlived their usefulness, like indenting the start of paragraphs, but I want to understand the reasons behind them.
-jsw
On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 12:45:40 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

If it didn't impinge on my work, I don't know how interested I would be in it. But I do find it interesting. When I was editing medical texts, it was vital. No mistakes are tolerated -- period.
Quite a few matters of type and punctuation are just artifacts of a decisio n made by some typesetter in the 17th, 18th, or 19th centuries. The inside period was just intended to reduce the likelihood that the tiny projection that makes a period would be less likely to be broken off in handling, sinc e it was more protected inside of a quotation mark. And typesetters were of ten the ones who decided when two words (work, place) would be compounded i nto one (workplace).
--
Ed Huntress

On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 12:45:40 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

If it didn't impinge on my work, I don't know how interested I would be in it. But I do find it interesting. When I was editing medical texts, it was vital. No mistakes are tolerated -- period.
========== We were supposed to be able to write flawlessly (though not necessarily with good style) for chemical journals, too. It's very important to spell chemical names correctly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chemical_compounds_with_unusual_names
unk wrote:

Didn't do it myself but I have seen one done. For cleaning a good washing with Dawn/water and rinsing to remove oil/grease. Then derusted in electolytic bath. The hardest part was finding a plant that still did hot dip and could fit a frame in the tank. Don't forget you need to plug any threaded holes and be sure the frame is square and unbent.
--
Steve W.

On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 6:07:53 PM UTC-4, Steve W. wrote:

ic

le

Hot dipped is not the only way to go. Do not know how to find some one tha t does this, but there are people that galvanize some what larger thing suc h as bridges. they use a machine which feeds two zinc electrodes with essen tially two MIG power supplies vaporizing the wires and depositing the zinc or the piece being galvanized.
Dan
Then there is Chromite a yellowish finish often used on Al. The chrome attaches to the iron. It is then plated over or painted over.
Martin
On 8/23/2018 7:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 21:05:51 -0500, Martin Eastburn

Anybody that does boat trailers can do your frame. Lots of "hot dipped" trailers. Also stock tanks
Check the AGA site for a list of their members - it can be found at https://galvanizeit.org/about-aga/galvanizer-locations