grease selection

Ran into a dumb problem. I can't identify a suitable type of grease, and have nothing on hand that's working.
I have a device where there is an approximatly 2" diameter ball that's
captive in a cage of sorts with handwheels that tighten the cage against the ball. when lose, there neesd to be some drag, when clamped, it locks solid.
I've found no suitable grease to replace what was there from the factory. The stuff there was similar to what's in electric drill gearboxes. A yellowish grease, it stretches and tears like vaseline, has nearly no smell and something that did NOT separate into oil and tickener. Not really sure what sort of grease in used in power tools, but it seems to be about the right stuff.
Things I tried that did not feel right were Super Lube grease, this stuff separated into oil too easily. Hell it's separating in the tube itself.
Tufoil lightning grease, also separated into an oily layer. Love this stuff otherwise, it does have a stronger smell than I'd like though.
Some sort of blue urea based Mobil electric motor grease, also separated into an oily layer on the ball.
So it seems like the usual NGLI grade 2 greases are just to oily.
Any types of NGLI 2 or 3 greases that remain greasy and not oily at room temp and have low to no odor, or any ideas on what's used in power tools?
Last thing, didn't try and dark molybdenum greases as they're too dirty and will leave black stuff all over. The ball part can be touched with your hands.

FWIW, petroleum jelly is a fairly good lubricant, itself. Perhaps that's what's on there!
If the part is not subjected to high-speed motions, and the lubricant is only used to freely move the part and prevent marring from the clamps, I'd suggest trying petrolatum. It's cheap, and no big deal to wash off if you don't like it.
Lloyd
What's wrong with vaseline?
Hul

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 19:35:55 +0000 (UTC)

<snip>
I have an old tube of Sil Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound. I haven't noticed it separating like other common grease. Normally I use it around plastic stuff and brakes. It's nice to have around as an option.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I think this was the original source:
https://agscompany.com/product/sil-glyde-silicone-brake-lubricant-tube-4-oz/
Like other comments, I use Vasoline for a lot of stuff too...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Didn't think to try silicone grease. Tried some- "dielectric grease" from Super Lube and it seems to work, although I sense it's not as tacky as the original stuff. Still wondering that stuff was.
On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 02:41:49 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Good info at http://documents.milwaukeetool.com/TIY383%20-%20Grease.pdf
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 23:13:52 -0400

Lubriplate has a lot of info/data available too if you want to peruse it:
https://www.lubriplate.com/Catalog-Ads/Catalogs.html
Used to get the strange grease for screw style garage door openers from them. If you use standard grease on that mechanism it will cause too much friction (stiction?) for it to even operate...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

learned the screw-drive garage door problem the hard way once. That was a mess.
In the end a mix of Superlube silicone and Dow Molykote 111 seemed to to work OK.
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 17:05:21 +0000 (UTC)

Me too, no fun fooling around in the cold at a friends house. That's when I found out about the special grease from Lubriplate:
https://www.lubriplate.com/Online-Store/Garage-Door-Household-Lubricants/Aero-Garage-Door-Opener-Grease.html
Back then we had to get it from a local garage door service company. They were quite familiar with the problem and solution ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Sounds like silicone grease.
--
Steve W.

On 8/18/2018 3:35 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:

Beeswax?