gantry - channel sections

... If "H" is a tension "doubler", not otherwise part of the beam "Second Moment of Area", then just fillets at the ends would do? Maybe small fillets along sides, out to edges of the "C" (channel) sections?

---------------------- As a separate element H is only a little stronger than the lower channel flange, because it has slightly more area and is further from the neutral axis, but as part of V it more than doubles the second moment. I think shear causes the difference.

I couldn't accurately measure these channels until a few days ago when I sawed off the end plates (they were pallet rack shelves) and removed the rust.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

These are direct links to photos of my sawmill and overhead gantry track in operation. Can you view them without having and being signed into a Google account?

The hoist, rope sling and pulley make manual log handling easy. I like it better than the hydraulic log turner on a $40,000 WoodMizer. A cant hook / Peavey turns large rough logs without getting too close, and a pipe clamp is a good handle to turn a partly squared log without damage.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

These are direct links to photos of my sawmill and overhead gantry track in operation. Can you view them without having and being signed into a Google account?

The hoist, rope sling and pulley make manual log handling easy. I like it better than the hydraulic log turner on a $40,000 WoodMizer. A cant hook / Peavey turns large rough logs without getting too close, and a pipe clamp is a good handle to turn a partly squared log without damage.

Google says:

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Best Regards. Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beel