General drill sharener rig and distance to grinding wheel?

I have a gerneral drill bit sharpener, i think ive got everything figured out except the distance to the grinding wheel, one setup shows a sliding table to adjust for different diameter bits. This is the part of the setup i dont understand (and seems to be the most difficult). Why do you need to set the distance from grinding wheel different for different diameter bits?

Reply to
tucker

I am not sure but I think it is actually the flute twist and the diameter which requires this. The bit is located in rotation by the stop against the flute. The distance from there to the wheel has to be correct so that the cutting edge is vertical. Put a large bit in the holder, twist so the flute stays against the stop, and adjust lengthwise so the cutting edge is parallel to the swivel pin. That is basically where the bit needs to be in the holder. Then the holder base has to be adjusted so the cutting edge just contacts the wheel. I may be all wet but that's the way I see it right now.

Reply to
Don Young

IIRC, the more you back the unit away, the lower your relief angle is on the cutting edge. Larger drills have the cutting edge farther from the center of rotation so you get too much relief if you don't move the unit backward. Its only a few thousanths difference for every 1/64 larger drill.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend