grinding wheel for tungsten

Ok my $25 water cooler is working great so now I am up to welding. I have been using my new Lincoln 185 and if I try and weld 1/8" steel at 125 amps its burning thru or sagging on the back side. 90 seems to get plenty of penetration.This is using 70s6 rod. I notice that I am getting at least 238 volts maybe a touch more at my panel. Is this why the machine seems to run "hotter"? As my welding teacher says, never trust the numbers trust how it feels, looks, sounds etc. Perhaps this means I can tackle 3/8" steel or aluminum no problem?

I am in the process of making a weld cart/weld table with big wheels so I need some tips on the cart/table AND on 6" grinding wheels for my bench grinder. I just bought a $22. 1" thick green Silica med coarse 80 grit 6" grind wheel, which is working but it seems to be shedding a fair amount of green dust after grinding 5 or 6 points. I then use a 120 grit aluminum oxide sanding disc setup on a hand drill to get it smooth. Can anyone suggest a better grind wheel? or cheap place to get a belt/disc sander, other than HF? Thanks, G

Reply to
me

Green wheels are soft soft soft. They will wear very fast and are intended for carbide. And the dust is mildly poisonous.. Pick up a

60-80 grit white wheel and use it instead. If you want to fine polish, use a 120 grit white wheel after you have roughed it out.

This is what I use, not that Im any authority on welding...but I do have a fair grasp of grinding in my role as machine tool mechanic.

When I get to the point that Im not dragging the electrode through the puddle so often..sigh..Ill finish the point with a fine Pink wheel, but I really dont think its necessary.

Poke your head in at a few of your local machine shops and see if they have any old used up white or pink surface grinder wheels. They start out at 7.5"x1", and when they get down to about 4", are tossed away. They have a 1" hole in the center, but a bushing is easy to make. Bring in a 6 pack of soft drinks and often they will load you up with stub wheels of all sorts. You can grind an electrode just hunky dory with those stub wheels.

Gunner

Gunner Asch