Gloat Electric Motor

Well that is, if it is fixable. 7.5 HP Baldor Industrial Motor 110 to

440V 1725 rpm free !

The shaft won't turn all the way around by hand, but it has grease zerts. This should be big enough for generating power for the whole property minus the washer and dryer. Plus could switch for my imaginary 330 and 440 machines in the future. Now for the small diesel and learn bio-fuel aka veggy oil.

Just got it, any good sites on procedures, never took apart one this size before. I think I have one puller to my name so I'm thinking this might be a project. Hopefully it doesn't have obvious magic smoke loss on the inside.

Seems like every year we have high winds and the power is off for days. Last time I fixed and set up two houses for other people before I did mine. The main concern is running a 2 HP 220V well pump from

300' away. Or if I had to set it up by the main power feed. Yes I know about back feed consideration, but what if the power goes out for weeks?

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Just take it apart and see, it should be easy and is likeyl fixable.

Ignoramus4371

Sunworshipper fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Are you implying that an induction motor can be used as a generator?

You'd be way better off to saw out the copper...

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Well , yeah. That won't work? No magnets?

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

No magnets. If I recall, you can use an induction generator to *add* power, but you need another generator running to provide the excitation.

Reply to
Pete C.

An induction motor can be used as a generator. Now it isn't designed for that, so it has some limitations.

Search on Google for " induction motor generator " and you will find lots of information, more than I want to type.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It's TOAST. Bummer

My puller could be modified to get the bearings off, hopefully they are the same size cause I'm off to see if someone has a bigger puller. Suppose ya have to press the stator off to get the shaft for other uses.

It wouldn't turn cause of the 3/32" copper beads in the bottom.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news:74d7a032- snipped-for-privacy@j9g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

Yeah, like the worst load regulation known to man.

Yes, they can be excited externally, and then made to generate power. But unless you want to run resistive loads only, and then with around 15% load regulation, they're not effective.

Besides, with that motor he had, he'd have blown a few hundred watts just in excitation losses.

NOT an effective approach, especially for someone who knows nothing about motors.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Take it to the scrap dealer, they pay out for motors.

Wes

Wes

A couple of cents a pound around here, minimum 1 ton.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Most definitely CAN be used as a generator. Needs a few good caps - and it needs to be a 3 phase motor to do it relatively easily.

Reply to
clare

Not true with 3 phase motor.

Reply to
clare

So, how would you use a three phase motor as a generator?

Ignoramus6201

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

and you need to not care about load regulation.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You put motor run (AC) capacitors accross 2 phases and take power off the third.. You need to run it just over nameplate RPM, start it with no load, and it automatically shuts down if overloaded.

On a single Phase motor you put the caps across the load.

Reply to
clare

I am very surprised to read about it. Do you have any kinds of references that I could take a look at?

Ignoramus6201

(...)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

So, would the same idea work on a 3-phase motor, with 3 identical capacitors, one per winding, and get 3-phase out?

That _would_ be cool. :-)

I don't like the load regulation deal, but I'm already thinking about some kind of regulation circuit - a shunt regulator could probably be made with a bridge and a mongo pass element, but that's terribly inefficient...

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Google 'induction motor generator conversion' - there is a ham operator has a site up - and I think something like "otherpower.com" as well.

Reply to
clare

- article on a 3 phase motor/generator with 1 phase tied to a local power company's lines.

Hul

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.> > >> >> > >>

Reply to
dbr