God protects the stupid

Thanks for the reminder. We've all done similar things - or worse.

---------

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

You are a very lucky man.

I did not have an accident today, but easily could have. I was lifting a heavy welding machine with my truck crane. The truck was on an incline.

As I lifted the machine, the crane started swiveling spontaneously so that the welder machine turned into the lower direction.

Since this happened when it was an inch off the ground, I was able to easily lower it and stop the turning. But, if that happened when it was high above, my truck would be punished for my own negligence.

Ignoramus8788

Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a

1/2" final hole. The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the base. The drill caught the plate and began spinning it. I just jumped back. The more it spun, the more it became out of balance, and it finally snapped before I could reach in and hit the switch. It went flying, but didn't do any damage. Broken drill bit was all.

Accidents happen when we are doing the most mundane common tasks, and do not observe the MOST COMMON safety precautions.

DOH!

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yep.

I sent off an e-mail trying to get some permanent clamps installed on our prototype shop drill presses earlier today, BEFORE reading your post. Your post will get quoted in the follow up e-mails.

For the record, I am firmly > Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a

Reply to
RoyJ

Being an experienced crane operator, I can sympathize with your situation. Just a gentle reminder for next time to level up before hoisting. Level will always find level and plumb will always find plumb no matter what the plans or drawings say. Glad you got off light.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And if that happens again, hold the drill down to the table and shut the drill press off. It will prevent the piece from flying off the table. I've that happen lots of times and holding the piece down on the table with the drill has become second nature. Sure is dangerous though. I ought to quit doing that.

Reply to
Dan

If it's all the same to you, the next time I drill a 5# or better piece of

1/2" plate, I'll just clamp it down and keep my fingers and hands out of it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thinks to self:-

Thanks for the reminder. I must get a telescopic pendulum safety switch for the drill press.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

A foot switch on a drill press makes a great deal of sense. I just picked up another VFD from Ebay, and this one is going on my big Rockwell/Delta 1hp drill press, with a foot switch hooked to "run"

That drill press WILL hurt you if one hangs a bit, with its 3MT spindle taper and that 1hp motor

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

In my younger years, I took enough shortcuts to realize that I can't take shortcuts. The trick is not getting too banged up learning or even better not learning it the hard way and doing it right from the start.

Some learn by watching, some by reading, some just got to pee on the electric fence for themselves ;)

Wes

Wes

I was reaming a hole with my DeWalt 18v. drill today when it caught a burr and just about hurt me. Those dang things with moving parts and torque have no respect for soft old flesh.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Sometimes I'm a bit lazy on the clamp-down, and of course a clamped piece can sometimes get loose.

Keeping the drill pushed down was good advice, but am I the only one that keeps the belts somewhat loose so the belt just slips when this happens?

Its easy to set the belt tight enough that it doesn't slip normally, but only slips once the bit grabs. Then, since kinetic friction is less than static friction, it easily keeps slipping until I can get the drill shut off. This is useful even when doing everything 'right' and the drill grabs.

Or maybe I'm the only one with a belt-drive drill press?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Besides the obvious clamping issue, you'll want to keep your pilot hole diameter not much bigger than the size of the non-cutting tip of your final hole.

The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Just be aware, the clamp will pull the plate just a little bit! Enough to make the drill miss the center you so carefully marked and punched.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Specially important after I doubled the motor HP! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Unless, I guess, the clamp pivot, the point where the clamp contacts the work, and the top of the work are all approx. in a line.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp