Gorilla Glue

Hey, howdy, rcm.

I want to work with Gorilla Glue, lots of it. No more spray cans of air-hardening cyano foam for me; That crap cures in the spary tube, Yeah, I know all about the acetone trick. Schmoopie hates the smell and it gets mighty cold outside, so it's a no-win.

Let's say I keep a pint or a quart of Gorilla Glue in the home refrigerator where it's cold and dry, and I let it stand on the counter overnight before any day I want to use it, so the temperature is repeatable. Let's say I can measure volumes to 10 ml or weights to

1 gm, whichever is more appropriate the task. Let's say I scale my projects to use up as much glue foam as I can make with one precious drop of water.

So I am wondering how to find out:

To how much Gorilla Glue, by volume or weight, do I add *one drop* of tap water with stirring for 1 minute by hand, for application within the next 5 minutes, to get a foam that will end up in 24 hours, "not completely unlike", that is, a reasonable match (in acoustic impedance or machinability or density or stiffness per volume, pick one and say why) for:

Styrene Foam?

Balsa?

Pine?

Oak?

Acetal?

Acrylic?

Magnesium?

Aluminum?

Mild Steel?

It's all about the damn futon. Friend gave it to us. I cut panels to fit the rack-of-torture frame. I want to foam glue them. I want them to stay. I don't want spray foam on the rug, or anywhere else. I want some control. Yeah, caulk would work.

But then I got thinking...I used Gorilla Glue on the patio bricks and they stayed put. You just have to keep it very dry, and never touch the nozzle to anything. I know how to do that.

Here's a tougher question:

How would you dispense 1/10 drop of water?

Douglas (Dana) Goncz, CPS Replikon Research Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
The Dougster

micropipette Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Syringe and treat the water with a surfactant?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

For U100 syringes used by diabetics, each unit is 10 microliters. A drop of water is 50 microliters. To dispense 1/10th of a drop of water use a 1/2 unit on a diabetic syringe.

Reply to
Denis G.

Easier said than done. If the accuracy required is +/- half of that value -- in other words, +/- 1/20th -- you can do it with a 30-unit syringe if you have a steady hand and if you use a new syringe. Otherwise, the spacings for one unit on a 50-unit B-D "low-dose" syringe, for example, which is still a small syringe, are 1 mm each. That's extremely difficult to control.

I like the micropipette idea better, even though I've used around 38,000 syringes in my lifetime. I also could recommend an insulin pump, which is programmable in 1/10-unit doses, but they run around $6,000 +.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Hey, here's something curious. I just tried this, and got funny little drops, much smaller than I would get with an eyedropper, for example.

I took a 30-unit syringe, filled it with water, and counted the drops in 5 units. I got 11 drops -- close enough to 10 -- but they were really teeny. These were drops that would detach themselves and free-fall as I held the syringe point-down; just ordinary drops.

That's exactly 1/10 the size you're describing -- one drop from this syringe is 5 microliters. I see from some references online that this is the same size as a drop of water dispensed from a Pasteur micropipette.

So is the size of the drop that dependent on the opening from which they're dispensed? This was a 30-guage needle. I'd have to mike it to see the size, but it's *really* thin.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Might get smaller if you ground and lapped the end square. Or not...

PS Are you throwing the things away after only one use? I get a couple of weeks out of mine.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I'll bet it would get bigger. I'll try it, but not now.

I don't use them at all anymore. I have a pump. But I typically used them three times. The old 28-guage ones lasted longer. 29-guage is my favorite. With the callouses I have, the 30-guage sometimes bends right over at a 90 degree angle when I try to push it in.

I used to use them until you had to screw them in. d8-)

I have sharpened a few, when I was in a pinch, on a black hard Arkansas stone. It works pretty well.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

.

You're probably right on the difficulty of dispensing it accurately. It was only a ballpark method with commonly available tools if you didn't want the expense of buying a micropipetter. I suppose you might be able to make your own micropipetter by attaching a dial caliper to a syringe. To get real accuracy you probably need to develop the art of dispensing small volumes or just get the right tools.

Reply to
Denis G.

Puppy gets 1/2 ml. of Robitussin 3 times per day which is about 7 drops. I give it to her from a 50 unit insulin syringe with the needle broken off, so if I wanted a very small quantity of water, I would use the syringe with a dulled needle. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I suspect that Puppie's current measuring device has been in use for a month or more! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

30 gauge... Gee what a wimp. Get out a REAL needle 18 large bore... First time I used one on a patient for a mainline IV push, I commented to them about the knitting needles we used because we couldn't find a brush to clean the smaller ones!

I have used a 30 on pediatrics. You don't even want to twitch with them.

Reply to
Steve W.

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Instead of the dial caliper, set up a frame to hold the syringe, and use a micrometer thimble assembly to advance the plunger.

Or make the tools.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Geeze, how many people here have diabetes? Show of hands?

I don't but my brother does (and my mother did as well). Last time I checked (a couple of months ago), my blood glucose was 85 an hour after a large-ish meal so for the time being, I appear to have dodged that bullet.

But back to the matter at hand. How about making a screw-activated plunger pusher? You'd have some stiction problems in the syringe, but maybe not too bad. Also, Ed, are the cartridges in the pump refillable? They're usually operated by a stepper motor driving a screw, and can deliver pretty small increments. It should be pretty straightforward to concoct a device with a fine-thread screw, maybe with a 10:1 vernier dial drive for good measure.

The old glass syringes were very slippery, but I don't know if they make them in very narrow bores.

If it's too hard to control the movement of a syringe plunger, you could use a diaphragm instead, which would have pretty close to zero friction.

Just some random thoughts from a tired former designer of anesthesia equipment.

Reply to
rangerssuck

My father, who was a doctor, used to threaten to give us our vaccinations with the rusty, hooked needle. He was pretty warped at times.

Reply to
rangerssuck

As a nurse in a somewhat isolated area, my mother kept a sharpening stone readily at hand. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Mark and I are unusual in that we're both Type 1's -- juvenile diabetics. Roughly 90% of diabetics are Type 2's. They're the adult-onset type that's associated with age, obesity, etc. Type 1's are the ones that usually get it in childhood and are totally insulin-dependent. The condition is an autoimmune disease, rather than an endocrinal breakdown or overload that leads to Type 2.

I don't think that much accuracy is required. Except in the computer-controlled pumps, no one is trying to dispense fractions of a unit -- except for babies, and the solution there is to dilute the insulin. It's typically diluted 10:1 for babies, and it's done by professionals or by very capable parents of those kids.

No. Use once and toss. But they don't come pre-filled. You have to fill them before using them, but the filling devices are pretty well wrecked from one-time use.

Right. The resolution on mine is 1/10 unit, and 100 units equal one mL (or cc; same thing).

Yeah, but it's not really needed. The insulin doses can't be matched to the need that closely. There's some dithering around the ideal doseage because there are so many variables involved in determining the insulin requirement at any given time.

Interesting thoughts, but they're a solution for a problem that really isn't out there.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress
[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Well ... I have a mild form at present -- controlled by pills instead of injections.

[ ... ]

A diaphragm has the problem of giving variable delivery for a given motion, depending on whether it is positively curved, nearly flat, or negatively curved at the moment.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

All can be compensated for - what we used to call SMOP (simple matter of programming).

564
Reply to
rangerssuck

Yeah but... When you're upt to your neck in alligators, it's hard to remember that you came here to drain the swamp.

We weren't talking about dispensing infinitesimal doses of insulin (and wouldn't it be cool if there was continuous monitoring and feedback that could take advantage of that precision?). The problem at hand is dispensing infinitesimal doses of water, for the purpose of mixing foaming Gorilla Glue. From Doug's original post (at the top of this thread):

So, in that context, would it be possible to refill an insulin cartridge and construct a simple dispenser to hold it and apply screw pressure to the plunger?

RS

Reply to
rangerssuck