Grinder rebuild update (Joe Gwinn?)

I have replaced the old bearings with new double sealed ones from McMaster. (made me very glad to have this 12 ton arbor press).

After reassembly, but without any wheels mounted, the grinder runs very quietly and very smoothly. The shafts do not appear to vibrate at all. Ie, I can put my finger to the shaft rotating at 3600 RPM, and I would feel no vibration from it whatsoever. It would feel like pulling a finger along a flat smooth piece of metal.

However, I if mount those wheels back, they seem to be not perpendicular to their axis of rotation and make figure eights and vibrate badly.

I have a feeling that I am not mounting them right.

Ignoramus19639

The wheels most likely need balancing and trueing up ,even new wheels need to have this done. Also make sure they are a good fit on the shaft , you may need to put bushes in the bore of the wheels to take up any difference between the wheels and the shaft.Most new wheels come with a stacked set of plastic bushes .

Make sure that the mounting /clamping washers are the same size (diameter) each side and that there is some type of paper between the washer and the wheel . Most wheels have this attached ,it's like blotting paper.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Do the wheels fight tightly on the shaft, so as to force the wheels to be perpendicular to the shaft? This often requires a sleeve.

Did the unit come with dished washers to clamp the wheels, applying pressure to the flat sides of the wheels in a ring about 2" or 3" in diameter? The dished washers need to fit tightly on the shaft. Old units often come with ill-fitting mongrel hardware.

Some well-lit photos would be nice.

With the hapless Ryobi, which also was smooth if run without wheels, I ended up making a pair of flanged half-sleeves to ensure that the wheels ran exactly perpendicular to the shafts, and remained well-centered:

You have the equipment to make such flanges.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn