Grinders

Hi I am looking for an angle grinder either Bosch or Black & decker. What does anyone reccommend. I restore agricutural & horticultural equpiment so it will be heavily used. CJ UK

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Too bad you're on the 'other ' side of the pond....I have a nice B&D 7" (model 4052 I think) that is a real workhorse. It's 20 years old,lightly used during the first 5 years of it's life and now sits on the shelf as I no longer need it. It makes taking leftover rubber backed carpet off plywood floors real easy ! If you can get one of these, I'm sure it'll outlive you, I know mine will. It originally cost me about $250 CDN, don't know what they're worth today. I'd be happy gettig 100 for it, but you're 'over here' and I'm in southern Ontario. Jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

Makita is the only way to go. I bought one in 1962 and have lost count of the cartons of disks it chewed up. Last year the switch finally broke. They still had a replacement. I changed the brushes every ten years whether it needed them or not. The head got cleaned and re-lubed every couple of years. I am still using it in retirement, occasioanlly. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

You didn't say what size you're looking for. Personally, I wouldn't use anything except my Metabo.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Bosch is "probably" better quality than B&D. However worn-out angle grinders are kind of a scarce commodity. They are practically immortal, even the cheap ones. While they tend to sound like they are about to make "gearburger" any moment, they won't. The end usually comes from being dropped once too often...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Milwaukee or Metabo would get my money. I would choose one with around a 10 amp rating, soft start and variable speed.

Stephen R.

Reply to
S R

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

"Colin Jacobs" wrote in news:AVDWd.243$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

One thing to look at is the way the power switch works. Some have a switch operated by pushing it with your thumb. Others work by squeezing it with your fingers. Try them both to see which is the most comfortable for you. It makes a big difference if you use it a lot. That may also determine the brands or models you have to chose from. (I like my Makita with the (paddle?) squeeze switch!)

Reply to
Ken Moffett

There is anther school of thought that says "buy several cheap ones" Mix and match parts as they die off. Not sure I exactly agree but Harbor Freight had their sidewalk sale yesterday so I picked up two 4-1/2" grinders for US$9 each. What the heck.

Seriously, it is VERY handy to have a least two of these gr> Hi I am looking for an angle grinder either Bosch or Black & decker. What

Reply to
RoyJ

I have two of the HF ones, they just keep running. But then I'm not using them everyday.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Makita. They have several to choose from. Need a 5/8" shaft. Low rpm's for wire brush. Get one with small grip area. Large diameter grinders are hard to hold in gloves for long periods of time. Need a 4 1/2" wheel. 4" is just a slightly worn 4 1/2". 4" won't get in places where a 4 1/2 will go.

Reply to
Mike

I've got a Milwaukee I've had for 22 yrs. and have used it_hard_ and long. I don't see how you could beat one.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Try a Metabo and you'll see. :-)