Ground rod question

If you have ever seen the results of an actual lightening strike you wouldn't be quite so casual about the amount of current the ground circuit is required to carry.
Now, if you are talking about "static grounds" as used on airfields or around fuel storage systems that is a totally different proposition.
Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

In my brain, a ground rod is for emergency path of current, and not a constant flow.
What do I win?
Am I right?
Steve
On Fri, 2 May 2008 09:03:32 -0800, "SteveB"

The problem with the discussion is that there are a number of different types of "grounds". One, for example, the "static ground" is designed to dissipate static electricity to avoid igniting fuel during a re-fueling operation. It has been many years since I worked on that type of system but if I remember correctly the resistance can be in the 1,000's of ohms.
Then we have the grounds used with lightening rod systems that may be required to carry Mega, or Giga-amps of current.
Then there are the ground systems for radio antenna systems and grounds for safety (and maybe even grounds for grounds :-).
What kind of ground are we talking about.
Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

In my case, a ground rod required next to the incoming 500Amp (large building) electrical service.
Steve
On Fri, 2 May 2008 20:28:31 -0800, "SteveB"

Just had a talk with an Australian "Sparky", a licensed professional electrician for probably 50 years. He tells me that according to Australian code the ground to any building entrance (I'm using U.S. terminology here) is the same size wire according to Australian code. He gave me the wire code but as it is not AWG or metric I have no idea what the actual size is, other then he said it was larger then normal wiring in the building.
Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)
Actually a voltage basis and not much current. Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
SteveB wrote:

No, since the very or extremely thin layer might explode or vaporize. It acts as a fuse.
The sold ones are more than a e.t.l. of metal. The measure would be in so many circular mils of metal. Acting like a solid wire that melts. The steel acts as a strong holder for a conductor.
I've consulted with about 8 or 9 power companies and two are huge in size.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

SteveB wrote:

Rather than attempting the improbable you can get the iridescence by passivating the copper deposited on your material.This involves a short dip in a dilute chromic solution Potassium Dichromate is a good candidate and you can get a similar effect on bright zinc it is a process used to reduce the reactivity of the surface layer of electroplated materials. If my memory serves we used to derust electrolitically using a sodium hydroxide solution with a small quantity of surfactant to wet the job. That was a long time ago approx 30 years so the details are not that fresh when I was a lab technician at GKN Hilton and Tuck Electroplating Division in the UK Derek
<snip>

********* Code in my area calls for each ground rod to be driven straight into the ground (approx. 6.5 feet). If ones house system is not grounded onto a municiple iron pipe water system, then two such ground rods are needed, 6 feet apart, connected by an unbroken #8 bare copper solid wire to each other and the meter. If connected to a water system, then no ground rod(s) are needed. If the ground wire between the two rods, and the meter is not encased in PVC conduit, then the metal conduits have to be grounded to the bare wire also.

I informed them when I did the work that it may not pass. I have no idea why they didn't just come out from the concrete and pound them in.
Steve
On Fri, 2 May 2008 09:02:28 -0800, "SteveB"

Because they would create a tripping hazard, and you are not supposed to have a ground like that right in front of the panel where you would make contact while resetting a breaker.
Simple solution - bury the conduit to the ground rod off to one side a few feet, and put the clamp below grade in a plastic or concrete handhole. You can order it with "Ground Rod" on the cover.
And if they ever pave the area, they just raise the handhole up a bit to sit at finished grade, and then it's always accessible.
NOTE: On new homes they just make a "UFER Ground" bond to the steel in the footing. Much neater, as it's all hidden in the wall.
--<< Bruce >>--
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:45:54 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking,

Are they going to drive the rod into the ground with bends in it? I don't see how that is going to work.

That is why you cold-bend them in place. A typical situation is where a foundation extends beyond a wall (usually a few inches under ground), but you want the ground rod to emerge from the dirt next to the wall. First you drive the rod into the ground (usually a foot or two away from the wall) and then bend it so that it wraps around the top of the foundation and pops up right next to the wall. Any electrician with more than a few weeks on the job should be able to do that in his sleep.
Vaughn
wrote,

The ditch has been dug. They just wanted to make it conform to the concrete foundation and follow the concrete outside that. It will be placed in there and buried.
Steve
Copper in solution can be super saturated and dip deposited. That is normally a thin layer at best. Plating is the best way - take a copper pipe/sheet/wire.... and the sheet you want as the other electrode.
There are reasonable web sites that show electro-plating and offer chemicals to aid and do the whole job.
Often large crow feet are used with the object suspended above the foot.