Guide to electric air compressors for home shops

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:46:02 -0800, Smitty Two cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

While I may not like your choice of compressors, I really like your sense of humor...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks for having the courage to admit that, Mike!

Reply to
Smitty Two

I made mine with RF. Everything from microwave receivers that recovered data from the noise floor, to 5 MW EIRP UHF transmitters. At one time I owned a commercial sound business. My record was clear audio five miles away from some pole mounted music grade horns, driven with a

65 watt amplifier. It was at a high school football stadium, with open bleachers. The custom speaker mounts were made of heavy aluminum 'U" channel. 8" wide, 18 inches long, and three inches deep. The thinnest part was 5/8"
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Only if they are exactly identical, to the last atom, and you are positioned at the exact spot where full cancellation takes place. Otherwise, you would get some reduction. Try it with speakers some time. If they are in phase and facing each other you can find dead spots where you can't hear either speaker. I did this for a football stadium. The players couldn't hear the announcer over the speakers, and you could use a live microphone anywhere between the goal posts.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

When I was a kid, I found a screw in driver for a stadium horn. I taped it to a washing machine rotor which was horn shaped and made a pretty good loud speaker. I then took a carbon microphone from an old telephone, put in series with some D cells and the home made speaker and that sucker was loud. The feedback from dropping the microphone into the horn was horrid and being a kid, I just had to use it to chase the dogs all over the farm. Ah, the life of a young mad scientist.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas