Bridgeport mill riser block

I would like to hear from people who installed (or removed) riser blocks on/from their Bridgeport milling machines.

I came across a 6 inch riser block recently, and I am hoping that having one would enable me to do a little more with the mill, and possibly would obviate the need for a drill press.

I am 5'11" tall. I think that with a riser block, I will need to keep a step stool around.

Reply to
Ignoramus16911

RoyJ

Make sure you have ceiling clearance for the riser. Mostly they are good to compensate for the table clearance lost to a rotary table or dividing head. I think a step stool would only be needed for tooling changes to reach the drawbar comfortably.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes and to change the speed if a belt drive one. We have one with and

3 without the riser. I only use one of the three, :-) I'm 5' 7". ...lew...
Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Risers are used for more tool clearance. Do you need it? I am 5'9" and I need a stool without one for drawbar access and belt changes. I barely have enough space to change the draw bar which is required to use both metric and inch tool holders. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

My step belt B'port came with a 6 inch riser and I did not bother to remove it. I'm 5-9 and I can reach the brake & drawbar (a bit of a stretch). For most things I find the table height to be just right and it keeps me from stooping over. My B'port is only used occasionally as a hobbist - not all day long.

Reply to
aribert