Newton Tesla

Rich mentioned Newton-Tesla in his "Real Bridgeport or Warco" thread and I thought I should give my appreciation of this firm. I have just awoken my Super 7 from 30 years slumber (I have been working abroad) and knowing that the motor was damaged decided to go for the deluxe option and replace it with a 3 phase motor with inverter control. I looked at N-T's web site but was a bit confused as there is an excellent section on their ML series of controls but no mention of the newer CL range.

On Monday I rang them up and was immediately put through to someone who really knew what he was talking about! He apologized for the CL not being on the web saying that the section had been written but not yet uploaded. We discussed my needs and he said that as it was a S7 then it needed a resilient mount motor so that the cable entry could turned to a suitable position and advised the cheaper CL750 (1.0HP) unit which is cheaper that the ML550 (0.75HP) unit so one gets more power for less money, in fact probably more power that one would ever need for S7.

I gave him my credit card details and he said "we will get the unit to you tomorrow" and true to his word the unit turned on Tuesday afternoon!

It was really refreshing to talk to knowledgeable people who really meet their promises.

Regards

Brian

PS How tall is a Bridgeport? (my garage ceiling is only 2.4m high).

Reply to
brian

It's 83 inches ( 2108mm) with the low-line motor on it and step pulleys. (BR1J) other bridgeports have taller motors. I would say 90 inches (2286mm) max ...that would be a bridgeport with varispeed (BR2J) and tall motor. so you are ok for height.....sometimes the machines have raser blocks fitted ...these are comonly avalable in 4 inch and 7 inch sizes ......they raise the machine by that amount......but raiser blocks are not that common.....i had to wait twelve months on ebay to get hold of a 4 inch one.......and you can take them out anyway. all the best....mark

Reply to
mark

I bought one of the ML setups from them a few years back - and had a similarly pleasant experience.

He did a "special" for me - programmed the controller for a max output frequency of 120 Hz - which basically doubles the speed range of the motor (and a bit more). Not so much of an issue with the S7 which has a better speed range anyway, but on my ML7 it means that for 99% of the work that I do on the lathe I never need to change the pulleys.

I'm not sure why they keep the ML control in their range now that they have the CL - the latter seems to have all the same features as far as I can tell, is smaller, and cheaper.

The great thing about their kit is that it is truly plug and play - bolt it onto the machine, connect up the plugs and sockets, and you're up and running.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Step pulley BP are given as 84-1/2" Variable speed BP as 88-13/16"

Tom

Reply to
Tom