Harbor freight tools

At standard pressure, carbon does indeed sublime. At some higher pressure carbon has a triple-point -- a condition of pressure and temperature where a substance exists in all three phases (solid, liquid, gas) simultaneously.

Sublimation 3642 C Triple-point 4492 C

Since it has a triple-point, carbon has a liquid phase.

I don't happen to have the triple-point conditions for carbon, but for a common substance (water) the conditions are 273.16 K and 611.66 Pascals (0.0 C and .088715 psi). The fact that the triple-point of the normal form of ice is so near 0 C (actually a tiny fraction of a degree above it) makes having a triple-point cell fairly easy. My father has one that he picked up somewhere. Cool it to about the freezing point and it has liquid water, ice, and water vapor all existing simultaneously at about 1/100 of an atmosphere pressure.

-- --Pete "Peter W. Meek"

Peter W. Meek

It is worse that that. Norton is the world leader in diamond film coating.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

I am always willing to learn. I knew one doesn't use Silicon Carbide on steel, but had the wrong reason. Thanks for correcting me. Now I am curious about the use of Silicon Carbide on other high strength materials as Titanium. Not that I really need to know. Aluminum oxide works well on Ti.

Thanks again, Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

I thot yours was a good example of "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit".

Whatever.

Out.

gradstdnt snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (gradstdnt) wrote

Reply to
John Doe

Worse, or better? :^)

Jim

jim rozen

My physical chemistry is pretty old. My first chem book was by Linus Pauling. Hell, all of my chemistry is pretty old now. Lot's of it is still valid, but more and more new knowledge seems to be less intuitive, which probably means that our concept of some of the basics is wrong, or maybe its just chaos. And yep, (a) got me in trouble.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

So you are a non believer of covalent bonds and their ability to hold the universe together. In any case, dismiss as you may and believe whatever old wives tales may provide you. Just don't let Mrs. get her rings too close to any iron as some believe they will readily dissolve.

Reply to
gradstdnt

I'm not so sure you're alone here, George. Since the theory of quantum mechanics hit the scene, seems many of the rules no longer fit. The recent PBS viewing of the string theory may enlighten all of us eventually, assuming, of course, that we can understand just what they're proposing. To me, makes no sense, but then I have a hard time finding my way home. Not understanding something that even Einstein didn't shouldn't surprise me.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Okay I looked at the web site you referenced. And found C2H2 acetylene listed as a compound with a triple covalent bond. Which according to you means it is very unlikely to have that bond break. So why am I inclined not to have a container of acetylene compressed to more than 30 psi? Does acetylene not burn?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Chaos theory and fractals mess me up enough. OTOH, I don't know what I knew yesterday, or was it last week?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote

Harold, I have wondered about that.... I have some fairly large ruby wheels I obtained years ago, and without exception, they are excellent on hardened steels... (by excellent, I mean cool cutting).... much better than the white, and infinitely better than the grey aluminum oxide. I recently found some for my surface grinder, and they also work very well on cast iron and mild steel. Why are they red? Marketing hype? Why do they seem to work better? I have other wheels just as coarse and soft acting, and they don't do any where near as well.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Winlund

I don't know how to tell you this, but a Ruby is AL203 == Aluinum Oxide in a trigonal chrystal structure with a hardness of 9. Diamond being a hardness of 10.

Reply to
hg

Well, you told me, congratulations. That being said, the question is, is the ruby color significant? Since all of the wheels I mentioned are aluminum oxide, why is the ruby wheel better (in my experience) than the others? The question was mostly directed at Harold, who is an acknowledged expert on grinding.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Winlund

the best grinder i ever had: did not get red until after she started up.. boy did she get red......

Reply to
jim