Hardness & Materials

Hi All,
I need Your help to make clear in hardness scale adoption. In
particular, I'm managing 3 main types of materials: hardned steel,
cast iron and hard-metal (tungsten carbide and titanium carbide) and
so I'd like to know exactly what types of hardness and scale to use. I
found Rockwell C values on the BOHLER chart, to classify hardned
steel, but I have no reference for cast iron and hard-metals.
Thanks in Advance.
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
Rockwell C won't cover your hardmetal. It doesn't range that high. You'll need Vickers or Knoop for that. Cast iron can be measured by Vickers, or on the Rockwell B or C scales, depending on its hardness -- if the surface is clean and machined. But the Brinell scale is more commonly used for cast iron because it integrates the local microhardnesses.
-- Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.