Hardness & Materials

Hi All, I need Your help to make clear in hardness scale adoption. In particular, I'm managing 3 main types of materials: hardned steel, cast iron and hard-metal (tungsten carbide and titanium carbide) and so I'd like to know exactly what types of hardness and scale to use. I found Rockwell C values on the BOHLER chart, to classify hardned steel, but I have no reference for cast iron and hard-metals. Thanks in Advance.

Andrea

Reply to
Colux

Rockwell C won't cover your hardmetal. It doesn't range that high. You'll need Vickers or Knoop for that. Cast iron can be measured by Vickers, or on the Rockwell B or C scales, depending on its hardness -- if the surface is clean and machined. But the Brinell scale is more commonly used for cast iron because it integrates the local microhardnesses.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress