Heading west (New Mexico)

I'm planning a road trip out to Albuquerque, New Mexico in the near future. Anything special I should stop and see in that city?

Oh, anyone who resides between New York and New Mexico and is planning on throwing out a mill can just leave it by the curb and I'll pick it up .

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Lets see, you could:

Ride the worlds longest aerial tramway to the crest of Sandia Peak Eat the best Mexican food in the city at Los Quartes Visit the Atomic Energy museum on Kirtland AFB (If the base isn't locked down) Eat at The Quarters, one of the top 5 BBQ restaurants in the country (According to Smoke magazine and I agree!) If you like authentic hand made Indian jewelry sold by the craftsman who made it you should go to Santa Fe on the weekend and shop the Market Square. Also, there are several real interesting historic churches in Santa Fe

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

After reading all those recommendations I am aching to go west. Especially for real New Mexican food and Barbecue; Yeee-Hawww!

Reply to
F. Hayek

Hehehe..... :) If you can tow a loaded gooseneck that tips the scales around 12,000#s, I'll pay your DFW to Shamrock, Tx and back fuel bill, a hotel room and some meal money, if you swing by here, get my trailer and pick up my shaper at Wayne Cook's over in Shamrock. Every time that I think I have a truck arranged that I can borrow or rent to go get it, something happens to make me reschedule the trip. Wayne has been a great sport about storing the shaper, but I know he would like it gone and be able to use the space.

I promise that I am going to get it soon Wayne.........

Craig C. snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
Craig

The National Atomic Museum is worth a visit.

Long drive!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Someone told me about a place called The Texan (there's a huge steer in the parking lot) that's supposed to be pretty good.

Ever hear of it?

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Last I heard it was moved out of the afb after 9/11 and was in a stripmall. Apparently They're building a new facility.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

If you don't mind going south a little there are the GILA CLIFF DWELINGS (a must see in my book) near silver city and a large open pit copper mine. The VLA (very large array) a radio antenna system made of I believe 20 VERY LARGE! Satellite dishes are west of Socorro. If you come in May I believe you can get on White sands missile range to ground zero of the first atomic blast. There was a major civil war battle fought at fort Craig south of Socorro, not much to see just hard to believe any battle would be there! If you come to Truth or Consequences (my town) there are several HOT mineral bath houses where you can soak and get a good massage, excellent Mexican restraints in town. There is also elephant butte lake (largest lake within 500 miles) good fishing nice body watching during the major holidays. Old Mesilla is OLD the buildings are from the 1800's the jail still stands where Billy the kid was locked up once. There are a lot of pecan orchards around old Mesilla where you can get about anything related to pecans. North of Albuquerque there is fantastic snow skiing in Taos and Red River right now. That is all I can think of at the moment. I really depends what time of year you want to come. There are places you don't want to go during the heat of the summer! Neal

Reply to
Neal

Maybe you're thinking of the Tall Texan in Amarillo? That's the place where if you can eat a 72 oz steak in 2 hours it's free. Of course, in addition to the steak you have to eat a shrimp cocktail, baked potato and diner roll too.

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

Not really, When I travel east, I have to drive the equivalent of LA to El Paso just to get out of WA. Another 400 miles will get me to Port Augusta which is roughly half way across Oz. I have to do this to get anywhere unless I head north for about 5 days driving. Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Reply to
alan200

Ah the Texan. Its about 45 miles away from me in Amarillo And they make you eat that 72 oz steak on a table on an elevated platform in 1 Hour. More like a rump roast really. Acutually has pretty good food.

Reply to
Bill Bright

Hummmm Id not brag about being into that sort of kinky stuff....

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Thta's got to be it- the guy who told me about it mentioned the monster steak.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

About 2000 miles one way. Call it therapy- we've had three family deaths since Jan 1. My uncle lives in Albuquerque and his health is failing so it's a good time for my cousin and I to go.

I hate flying and round trip tickets are about $1000 which is BS because round trip to San Francisco is half that.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Pay cash, wear sunglasses, maybe change your hair style...

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

72 oz?? I'm a member of (Don) Shula's Steak House "I Am A Glutton" club by eating a 48 oz steak. I couldn't have eaten a 50 oz. And I'm 6'2", 250+ lbs, and a /good/ man with a knife and fork. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Yeah - it's quite a sight to see. Last time I was there they had two books of names just inside the front door. The book on the left contained the names of those who have tried and failed. It was about 2" thick. The book on the right contained the names of those who tried and succeeded. It might have been 1/8 inch thick. Interestingly, while I was there some guy won the challenge - he looked to be about 150 lbs soaking wet. The manager of the place went to the back and came back out in a Big Texan costume - wearing stilts to make him about 10 or 12 ft tall. He put on quite a production for several minutes congratulating the winner and getting his signature in the winner's book.

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

Well I'd sure hate to see him sitting on the throne the morning after.

I'm sure THAT would be quite the moving experience.

Reply to
Shiver Me Timbers

Hmm.. that's why there's no pictures of the great old building with art-deco lettering on their website. 8-( I was there in May 2001 and there was a bit of red tape involved in getting us & our car onto Kirkland AFB even before 9/11.

Here are some photos of what it used to look like:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You may be referring to the Big Texan steakhouse on I-40 in Amarillo, Texas. When I was driving an over the road truck in the 70's and 80's it was aa must stop anytime I was in the area. They have Rocky Mountain Oysters on the menu and I love them. If you are really hungry they have a 72 0z steak dinner that is free if you can eat it and all the fixin's in an hour. I haven't been there lately so I have no idea how much it costs if you can't eat it. If you try it order the fries. If you order the baked potato you will see a potato about the size of a football.

Dennis

Reply to
Gunluvver2