Heading west (New Mexico)

My brother and I rode our bicycles in back around '99 or '00.

Apparently that doesn't happen very often. The guards kept wondering what they should do if they couldn't look in the trunk. It took about ten minutes while they sent someone out to photocopy our drivers licenses.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Ah yes the Texan. The home of the famous free 72oz steak (if you can manage to eat that much steak and from reports I've heard about a equal amount of potatoes in one sitting). Personally I've never been there that I can remember. I guess if you like steak it's pretty good. But I've heard from some real steak lovers that there's actually better places to eat.

At the very least you can stop by on your way through and say hi.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

It's not going anywhere on it's own. :-)

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

I don't know how much time you have and how far you want to go, but the Durango - Silverton narrow gage railroad is north of Albuquerque about

200-250 miles. It looks like they are running a winter train about 1/2 way up the track. They also have a museum at the maint shop. I haven't done the winter trip, but the summer one is really nice.

Their web site is:

This may be old hat to you, but Albuquerque has 3 Fuddruckers. As far as I'm concerned, there are hamburgers and then there is Fuddruckers.

John

Reply to
jwcm

Absolutely, positively do not miss Acoma Pueblo, about an hour and a half west. A pueblo on top of a mesa, the oldest continually inhabited spot in the continental U.S. The church, in particular, is breathtaking. On the Web (what ain't?) at

Best New Mexican food: Church St. Cafe.

Best Green Chile Cheeseburger: The Owl, natch. They invented them :-) Greatest multicultural food ever. Close second: Green Chile and Pepperoni pizza at Dion's.

As far as barbeque goes, County Line talks the talk, but Powdrell's walks the walk.

Oh, yeah, and metalworking: Shidoni Foundry,

A bit artsy for some folks' tastes, but damned impressive work nonetheless. If you schedule things right you can watch a pour.

Welcome to the Land of Enchantment.

Cheers,

Earl

Reply to
Earl Boebert

Hi Sandiapaul here...I lived there for 3 years, my "bests" are: M&J Sanitary Tortilla factory @ 2nd and Lead Powdrells the one and only choice for BBQ Shindoni The Tram is greatt even if overly touristy, save your money and don't get at drink at the top. Go at the right time and you will see why there called the Sandia's.(early, evening) The salsa at Los Quates(I heard they changed hands or maybe even closed)

Have fun in the land of entrapment!

Whats the only thing you can get in NM for $8.00....a job.

Reply to
sandiapaul

I hear it's down in "Old Town" now. Havent been there my self since it moved from the base. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Los Cuates, but it is pronounced as above. I also like M & J's Sanitary Tortilla Factory (true name) and Sadie's in the middle north valley.

It's moved to the Old Town area into the old REA store.

Mmmmmm, Quarters. Bring an appetite. Powdrell's is good too.

Better to go to Gallup or Farmington.

Reply to
Russ Kepler

I might be able to do it if I used the company fifth-wheel F-450 (instead of my sweet running 300 cube 6 F-150) but I don't think there's enough gasoline in North America to power that beast 4000 miles round trip. And the fuel stops would add a day each way.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Forgot to mention that Truth or Consequences has erected the Vietnam War memorial wall. It was the movable one that traveled the country. It now has a permanent home in our new war memorial park next to the New Mexico state Veterans Home. Hope you enjoy your trip whatever you do!!! Neal

Reply to
Neal