heat treatment tools

Hi I bought some wrenches at a fire-damaged sale. They were burnt in a fire at the tool store and were very cheap so I took the risk, but find that they are useless and bend very easily. Is it possible to reverse the softening by heat treating them in some way? They are ring and openend style made from chrome-vanadium. Draper and Elora brand. AL

Reply to
Al M

Looks like these were heated red hot and then cooled in the ashes. Classic way to anneal.

Do you have enough of these to make paying a commercial heat treater to heat treat them worthwhile?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

That must have been a hell of a fire.

How's the finish on these tools?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I only have a few of them, but there were 1000's for sale. I think they would have been great for art sculptures. The finish is not that good. I brushed them with a wire wheel and they come up ok but a bit dull with a slightly greenish colour. One of the elora ones seems prone to rust but the others have stayed ok. I think I might try heating to red and cooling quickly, like hardening tool steel. Then tempering. Nothing to loose. Al

Reply to
Al M

Nothing but the skin on your knuckles when one fails. I would try heating dull red and quench in ATF then heat soak in toaster oven set on 400 for 30 minutes or so then let cool overnight in the oven before removing. This has worked for me in the past. FWIW

Reply to
Gerry