House of Tools (Canada) closing?

I thought that something was wrong when the March flyer did not appear. Today I was told that the local branch of the House of Tools is closing in May. I am also told that the whole chain may be in jeopardy.

For a small community like ours this is a minor disaster. It is hard to understand as the local shop has been thriving in spite of the recession.

I was planning to buy a major piece of machinery from them but shall not now. Warranty would be a real issue.

Shame.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

It's online:

Maybe you dropped off the mailing list.

Reply to
_

I take warranties with a grain of salt...

Figure out if it is intact/worthy when you buy it. If not, take it back for another or refund.

Everything else I fix myself. The people that care and can make repairs as well or better than myself are far and few between. It is much less frustrating to just fix it myself the first time rather than have to fix it anyway after a botched warranty job...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

1) The flyer is indeed out. However it is an interesting one: Instead of at least a few good deals which have been a feature until recently the whole thing is full of "pretend deals". Including "deals" that are actually dearer than their regular prices. A last gasp before "everything must go" flyer? 2) The opinion of the insiders is that the Canadain operation is being sacrificed to salvage the US operation (I did not know they had one!) 3) No question many outfits will go to the wall. I love watching TV commercials and betting on who is next. Have you noticed how TV advertises mainly completely useless crap which one can live without? I for one am happy to die in 50 years' time without ever owning a Snuggie or tasting Lean Cuisine. I must say that I was surprised to see HoT in that category.

C'est la vie!

Reply to
Michael Koblic

How about the Liberian legal tender, non circulating coin coated with

71 milligrams of .999 pure silver; which according to my calculation has a value of less than three and one half cents? Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller

I will have to check the Victoria outlet in the next few days.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

(...)

Everyone knows that die cast truck models are a much better investment.

|af "A Sixty Dollar Value!!!" :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

House of Tools is definitely closing all three branches in BC plus one in Medicine Hat, AB by the end of May. Clearance sales have already begun. As far as the warranty goes, it depends on the brand. Obviously DeWalt or Makita warranties have nothing to do with House of Tools and even their "house brand" Pioneer is a separate company based out of the US but warranty may be difficult (eg. shipping tools to Alberta for warranty).

Reply to
ismaril

House of Tools is definitely closing all three branches in BC plus one in Medicine Hat, AB by the end of May. Clearance sales have already begun. As far as the warranty goes, it depends on the brand. Obviously DeWalt or Makita warranties have nothing to do with House of Tools and even their "house brand" Pioneer is a separate company based out of the US but warranty may be difficult (eg. shipping tools to Alberta for warranty).

They were discussing that, when I was in the Colwood (near Victoria, BC) store. There was some talk of continuing the sale until the end. Not much left in the way of small metalworking stuff. I was looking for endmills, but only 3 left. There are still some drill presses, a metal lathe, and a finger brake.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.