Free design engineering book

A few days ago we were discussing _Precision Machine Design_, which is an
excellent book for people interested in machine tool and other machine
design, but which costs $100. It was written by Alexander Slocum of MIT.
Slocum teaches (among other courses) a basic mechanical engineering design
course called "Design and Manufacturing 1." To support the course he's
written a stripped-down version of _PMD_ and made it available free, online.
If you want to know about basic design engineering ideas, this is it. It
looks like it's written for Freshmen or Sophomores -- simple language,
excellent introduction of concepts, lots of first-semester calculus. But you
don't need the calculus to understand it.
You can get it here:

The book is under revision so the online PDF version is down. But you can
get the last version in the form of a *.zip file that expands to a bunch of
PDFs. Look in the left column under "Resources" for the *
.zip, plus some
other ones that look interesting but that I haven't checked.
--
Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Oh. It might be good if I gave the book's name: _FUNdaMENTALS of Design_.
-- Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Also see:
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
You done good tonight Ed. That one is a keeper, I put it on my USB flash drive for lunch time reading. Very ON TOPIC!
Wes
Reply to
Wes
I had read this book a while back but forgot about it. great book.
I'm giving a 10 minute talk to high school kids about the engineering field as a possible career next week. I'm going to use the first paragraph of the book as a quote.
"Design is a Passionate Process Long before any design project starts, the design engineer has to believe that there is a problem that is worthy of their attention. The design engineer must feel a need to solve the problem. The design engineer must have a yearning to solve the problem. The design engineer must be passionate about solving the problem!"
BTW, do you have any other suggestions or interesting quotes aimed at having high schoolers consider the engineering field?
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Not off the top of my head, but I know where you can find some in a book. The title is _The Existential Pleasures of Engineering_. 'Lots of quotes, and some good original ideas. The whole book is philosophical, so there's plenty of material in there.
I read it around 30 years ago. Maybe you can find a copy in an engineering-school library.
-- Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress
The notes and book are both very good, but I prefer the book. If you're interested in the connections between theory and practice, the book is more precise. There are one or two connections suggested in the notes which I regard as being unproven, although I have not found any which give bad advice.
One notable issue is the connection he makes in the notes between Saint-Venant's principle and the design of reliable sliding mechanisms. Some time ago I asked Professor Slocum to explain the connection to me, and my interpretation of his response was that the connection is purely empirical, i.e., it gives a sensible starting point for a design but there is no mathematical proof showing why it works. But this is not stated in the notes. In the book, the connection is not mentioned at all, and he quotes a few sensible figures, noting that they are just "rule of thumb".
Best wishes,
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." (Thomas Edison)
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
By "the book," do you mean _Precision Engineering Design_?
-- Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress
I see that _The Existential Pleasures of Engineering_ is available in a new edition (1996), that Amazon has it in stock for $10 and change, and that you can have it by Saturday if you order in the next 21 hours.
-- Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress
try "the soul of a new machine" there are good quotes in it
Reply to
Bill Noble
Most design engineers make reasonably good money, some make unreasonably good money. Another cool part is that a design engineer can design about anything he or she might want, whether or not anyone else thinks it makes any sense. Not on the job, of course, but the skills belong to the engineer to use as he or she may please. They have .... "the knack".
Reply to
Don Foreman
Excellent story about the creation of the Eclipse 32.
I'll offer "The Mythical Man Month" as a counter. The story and experience of the creation of OS 360. One Million Man Years?
Reply to
cavelamb
I'm glad you like it, but I'm sorry to hear about what you do at lunch.
-- Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress
I made unreasonably good money, enough to buy an apple orchard. I had "the knack" as long as I could see it, feel it, touch it. Now those guys that pushed electrons around to do all sorts of strange things, were a TFM (total f***in mystery) to me.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Sorry for the inconvenience, but FUNdaMENTALS of Design is currently under revision utill further notice.
Webpage Updated 8 January 2009.
:-(
Reply to
Maxwell Lol
Followup - the same page has a zipped PDF file which has the document.
Reply to
Maxwell Lol
When it came out I was on a well-run team designing a similarly complex piece of computerized semiconductor test equipment. It was very interesting to see the dynamics of the process explained so clearly while actually living it.
As usual the brilliant PhD in charge soon moved elsewhere.
Jim Wilkins
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
As I mentioned in the post, the older version of the book is still there, as a *.zip file.
-- Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress
"Precision Machine Design" actually, but I think we mean the same book.
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy