Free design engineering book

A few days ago we were discussing _Precision Machine Design_, which is an excellent book for people interested in machine tool and other machine
design, but which costs $100. It was written by Alexander Slocum of MIT.
Slocum teaches (among other courses) a basic mechanical engineering design course called "Design and Manufacturing 1." To support the course he's written a stripped-down version of _PMD_ and made it available free, online. If you want to know about basic design engineering ideas, this is it. It looks like it's written for Freshmen or Sophomores -- simple language, excellent introduction of concepts, lots of first-semester calculus. But you don't need the calculus to understand it.
You can get it here:
http://pergatory.mit.edu/2.007/resources/FUNdaMENTALS.html
The book is under revision so the online PDF version is down. But you can get the last version in the form of a *.zip file that expands to a bunch of PDFs. Look in the left column under "Resources" for the *.zip, plus some other ones that look interesting but that I haven't checked.
-- Ed Huntress

Oh. It might be good if I gave the book's name: _FUNdaMENTALS of Design_.
-- Ed Huntress

You done good tonight Ed. That one is a keeper, I put it on my USB flash drive for lunch time reading. Very ON TOPIC!
Wes

I'm glad you like it, but I'm sorry to hear about what you do at lunch. <g>
-- Ed Huntress

I had read this book a while back but forgot about it. great book.
I'm giving a 10 minute talk to high school kids about the engineering field as a possible career next week. I'm going to use the first paragraph of the book as a quote.
"Design is a Passionate Process Long before any design project starts, the design engineer has to believe that there is a problem that is worthy of their attention. The design engineer must feel a need to solve the problem. The design engineer must have a yearning to solve the problem. The design engineer must be passionate about solving the problem!"
BTW, do you have any other suggestions or interesting quotes aimed at having high schoolers consider the engineering field?
Karl

Not off the top of my head, but I know where you can find some in a book. The title is _The Existential Pleasures of Engineering_. 'Lots of quotes, and some good original ideas. The whole book is philosophical, so there's plenty of material in there.
I read it around 30 years ago. Maybe you can find a copy in an engineering-school library.
-- Ed Huntress
Karl Townsend wrote:

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." (Thomas Edison)
Chris

I see that _The Existential Pleasures of Engineering_ is available in a new edition (1996), that Amazon has it in stock for $10 and change, and that you can have it by Saturday if you order in the next 21 hours. <g>
-- Ed Huntress

try "the soul of a new machine" there are good quotes in it
Bill Noble wrote:

Excellent story about the creation of the Eclipse 32.
I'll offer "The Mythical Man Month" as a counter. The story and experience of the creation of OS 360. One Million Man Years?

Sorry for the inconvenience, but FUNdaMENTALS of Design is currently under revision utill further notice.
Webpage Updated 8 January 2009.
:-(

As I mentioned in the post, the older version of the book is still there, as a *.zip file.
-- Ed Huntress

Followup - the same page has a zipped PDF file which has the document.

When it came out I was on a well-run team designing a similarly complex piece of computerized semiconductor test equipment. It was very interesting to see the dynamics of the process explained so clearly while actually living it.
As usual the brilliant PhD in charge soon moved elsewhere.
Jim Wilkins

That is an excellent book. I couldn't put it down when I first read it years ago.
Wes

If you like that one, you'll probably like a similar book that Kidder wrote, titled _House_.
-- Ed Huntress
On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 17:02:35 -0600, "Karl Townsend"

Most design engineers make reasonably good money, some make unreasonably good money. Another cool part is that a design engineer can design about anything he or she might want, whether or not anyone else thinks it makes any sense. Not on the job, of course, but the skills belong to the engineer to use as he or she may please. They have .... "the knack".

I made unreasonably good money, enough to buy an apple orchard. I had "the knack" as long as I could see it, feel it, touch it. Now those guys that pushed electrons around to do all sorts of strange things, were a TFM (total f***in mystery) to me.
Karl

Are there any positions available for such? I'm pretty good at design engineering and the electrical controls & programming, plus hydraulics, pneumatics, etc.. My current employer chooses to underemploy me and hires contractors at 4X my pay to do what I can do better than most of the contractors they hire. And the jobs they have me do are things that I'm not all that great at. For example they might have me changing light bulbs when they can have a younger more agile person change light bulbs faster than I can. But they hire people to program their machines that are high priced, not any better at it than I am, and are gone when the project is running. Do you know of any unreasonably good money jobs (or even reasonably good paying jobs) doing the design engineering electron pushing stuff?
RogerN

Can I take a guess. You are working for a place that you haven't worked at for long after losing a job where the challenges were greater?
Wes