Bureaucracy Looming?

I was talking to a well-known engine man and friend this morning, who passed this little gem to me by email. As far as I can see it is
genuine, the The National Jumblers' Federation has a secretary called Dave True.
I quote it as received with no comment:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ The National Jumblers'Federation, by their very nature, keep an eye on rules, regulations and bureaucratic meddlings that may possibly concern the future of auto jumbles, other such gatherings and motor transport matters in general, particularly within the vintage and classic field.
In their latest issue they print a list of proposed measures that have been raised and temporarily put on the back burner pending the result of a General Election. These are as follows:-
1 A proposal to prevent people working on their own vehicles. All work to be carried out by an approved garage. This would kill restorations stone dead and close a lot of clubs. Also, how many modern garages would be prepared to work on classic machinery?
2 Only vehicle manufacturers through their agents and dealerships to sell spares. An instant end to auto jumbles. Where would we find classic spares?
3 Every vehicle to be subject to a possession tax each year, regardless of age or condition - even a box of bits.
4 Cradle-to-grave taxation on all vehicles, again regardless of condition.
5 The Kent Act to be extended across the whole of England and Wales, a disaster for stall holding events. At the moment a free licence can be obtained from Kent County Council and there are few Trading Standards officers to police it. If the present Government is re-elected then County Councils will be ordered to appoint all the jobsworths they need to enforce the Act and to recoup the costs, which equates to a hefty licence fee.
6 Local Authorities will be given greater powers to seize vehicles parked on private land.
7 The use of vehicles over a certain age, maybe only 15 or 20 years, will be severely restricted. Owners will have to submit to their local authority details of their intended trip and submit a route for approval. Local Authorities will of course have to charge a fee for this.
8 Vehicles over a certain age, not considered to be historic (by whom?) to be compulsorily scrapped.
9 All vehicles, regardless of age, to be fitted with catalytic converters.
10 All event organisers to be forced to apply for planning permission for their events, and the abandonment of the 14-28 day rule which permits venues, such as farmers' fields, to be used for occasional events without planning approval. Imagine the time it would take: there would have to be consultations with police, opportunities for the public to object etc. What about the proposed fees - 750 for an event worth 6000 to 9000 in attendance, 50,000 for events of 75,000 or more.
11 A proposal for compulsory security staff, all vetted and licensed, to be employed at any event where alcohol is served.
To quote Dave True, general secretary of the NJF: "If all the above items come to pass then the additional cost to organisers will be horrific. It will get to the point where stallholders will refuse to pay the rents and the public will not come because the entrance charges are too high. Result? A lot of colour drained from a lot of people's lives. How many people will take part in car boot sales every Sunday? Hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Do they realise their hobby/pastime is going to be severely curtailed?"
Isn't this absolutely frightening? Can you imagine how miserable this country would become? Are we to become the latter-day Eastern Bloc? ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk
Prepair Ltd wrote:

Dateline 1 April 2005, perhaps?

I did wonder, but the source appears to be genuine, and I did have a look at that side of things before I posted it, but of course there is always that possibility.
There 'is' a thing called the Kent Act which is discussed in other sites and forums, related to Jumble Sales and Boot Sales, so that much appears to have a good pedigree, if that is the word for it..
I did post it without comment!
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk
Perhaps our elected goverment!!! Is of the opionion... Push them to the limits, and when all hell breaks loose, we can get ID cards and any other so called security measures in... I'd like to see the local authority turn up at a gypsy site to claim all their vehicles, and stop them working on them.
Joules
Looking at it I don`t think it is a wind up, a local folk festival was just saying the other day in the local rag about the cost of running the event because of proposed new licensing laws, going by the amount of people attending. Alot of the others have reared there ugly head in the past, I know because I had classic cars before going back to engines.
Cheers, MartinH

Ahh! Tom I wish it was. From 12000miles away it might sound like a wind up, but living in this poxy country now, it doesn't seem too much like a joke. Passports for horses & cattle, can't even put a new light fitting in your house ( or workshop!), chancellor's spent all our pension funds on gay rights officers for local government, highest fuel prices this side of Uranus, 700 hours of parliamentary time spent on banning foxhunting; 70 hours on removing habeus corpus. April fools?? They're running the ****ing country! ----------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com -----------------------------------------------------------
snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com wrote:

But think about the positive, offhand in the last 20 years they've got rid of your ante-diluvian licensing laws... and they've um, and they've um, well, anyway you can get a drink most anytime now, which has to be good! :-)
Look at us, we can still have machineguns! You think you've got problems! It takes forever to reload enough ammo for a good blat! :-(
Tom

Tom upside is with all day drinking and this crap 'beer' they keep importing from the United Simpson's of America who want's a machine gun? 10 bottles of Buds best rice wine and you can fart quicker that puff the magic dragon can fire. -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson wrote:

John, John, I'm totally shattered! You've succumbed to the lure of the feline's offsprings' urine? What about real ale? No more? :-(
To think there was a time when the English drank real ale, men were men and women were glad of it! Of course there was a time when men up your way, purportedly pranced around the greenery in green tights, but I'm sure it was just a blip in things, manliness..:-)
Tom

Good God no Tom, Wouldn't be seen drinking this shite but it's in all the pubs now and seen to be 'cool' to drink this stuff. It's a bad thing as well and it's stuffing up the whole industry.
Bud and some of the other Busch brewed drinks [ can't call these beers ] are actually brewed from rice and not malted barley as it's cheaper. Rice bless you, it not beer it's fooking pot noodle.
Anyway because of this it has a taste to it that isn't all it should be. To get by this they carbonate it to hell and then serve it at minus 370 degrees to stop it frothing all over the shop. So now you have fizzy pot noodle.
Because breweries have to sell this paddy piss they have had to put better refrigeration systems in and it's more cost efficient to do this over the whole of the range. So now we are getting decent beers and real ale, which are still freely available being served at minus 370 degrees.
This means when you go up to the bar and order your pint first it's now impossible to quaff it down whilst the rest of the order is being served then get yours back in again. I have to do this because once in about 1968 I had a pint spilt and wouldn't want to repeat that traumatic experience again.
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson wrote:

Ah, huh, mind you, you could put this to very good use! -370 would be handy for cryogenic tempering of highly stressed parts! A quick swish around in your pint... Work & "leisure" together..
Tom
writes

So when an ex-colonial from the wrong side of the pond says, "Your Mother drank warm beer!". Is it meant to be a compliment or an insult?
--
Mike Hopkins
CSME <http://goto/cheltsme>

Neither - it is just intended to display his ignorance ;-)
Regards, Tony
............it is just intended to display his ignorance.
Tony,
I believe the above might be a sine qua non.
Mike. :)
--
Mike Whittome

Blimey - I'd always fancied New Zealand anyway!! Can you really own a machine gun legally, without having to drive a BMW M3 with blue fairy lights on & wear sunglasses & your cap back to front? I can see what you mean about the reloading though - since my son has started shooting a 12 bore as well, I actually bought some cartridges last autumn for the first time in 32 years!
----------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com -----------------------------------------------------------
snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com wrote:

Yes, although wild n woolly welshmen might have difficulty meeting the requirements! :-) I see you have trouble with the hoons from across the border..
Tom

Hoons??
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:51:59 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com wrote:

One of them is our devence minister ;-)
Regards, Tony
snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com wrote:

Anything that drives with a cap on back to front... Can be relied to devoid of any observance of the Road Code &/or law...

Ah, well much as I'd like to blame it all on the English, I have to admit we have plenty of Welsh hoons as well:-( Mind you I'm two miles out into the wilds, so its OK here... though that may have summat to do with the fact I've nearly always got a shotgun over my arm!! ----------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com -----------------------------------------------------------