Anyone in the US understand what im on about?

This scouser was in my local model shop the other day, said he had been to the US and picked up a load of paints, didnt think of getting the thinners as he thought he could get it back in old blighty.....

Says he bought Modelmaster enamals, but cant find a thinner to use, and what type of laquer to use with floquil????

Said i would let him know what i found out as he said no one in the UK stocks them, Hannants list the paints but not thinners ta

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

"JULIAN HALES" wrote in news:K5Qhc.966$% snipped-for-privacy@pathologist.blueyonder.net:

For Modelmaster I just use paint thinner that I get in gallon cans at the DIY store. Floquil has it's own thinner, the military branded stuff is discontinued but the railroad colors thinner is the same thing. I have a can of each and they smell exactly the same.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I use laquer thinner with MM enamels. No problems. Dries harder and faster than MM thinner.

Tom

Reply to
Tom H

You can use laquer thinner with both of those; cellulose thinners is what I believe you call it on your side. They are however not laquer based but mineral spirits/turpentine based.

Most turpentine based thinners should also work. Floquil is Xylene/Xylenol based which may be available to you. Both these paint lines are user friendly in my experience so it shouldn't be a problem. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

I had trouble with Humbrol fluorescents several years ago because the recommended (UK) cellulose thinners didn't work. I assumed that they were all the same thing and used some bought at the local garage/autoparts . They didn't work so I had to ring Humbrol tech dept. (very helpful) who explained to me that their Humbrol brand tin of cellulose thinners was far purer than the normal store bought type. He was right too, it worked like a charm. Maybe a similar thing going on here? Hope this helps Chek

Reply to
Chek

Reply to
Bob & Lori

Store's that stock artist's supplies should also have various very pure thinners if they have decent painting supplies.

Reply to
George Kinney