Heavy duty tomato cages

I need tomato cages for the garden. I have tried the wimpy wire baskets at the local farm store and they get bent up, fall over and are a waste
of money. I did find some nice heavy duty ones in the local Amish community but they are $18.00 each!
I tried some hog panels one year but that was a mess too because you could not weed around them and it just did not work out.
So I have these hog panels and if I could bend them in a circle and weld them, they would be nice and sturdy but how to bend them. They are tough. Thinking about this, sitting in the shop last night, I spotted the backhoe.....
The 4 in 1 bucket made a fine press brake! I welded them together and now have manly tomato cages.
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x161/rleonard1/Tomato%20cages/IMG_1095.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x161/rleonard1/Tomato%20cages/IMG_1094.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x161/rleonard1/Tomato%20cages/IMG_1093.jpg
Bob
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:03:38 -0700 (PDT), bob snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Those make my 14 gauge wire fence cages (4ft tall) look pretty wimpy :)
I would still pound in a good steel fence post and wire the cage to it. Some guys put in two posts, but I haven't had any problems yet using just one. Works good with the regular (not the really wimpy) tomato cages too.
If I could afford that loader maybe I could pony up for some hog panels too. They aren't exactly cheap if you get them new...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
bob snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

-snip-
I didn't have a bucket or the hog panels, so I had to make do with the 5' high concrete re-wire with 6" mesh.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I want a break like that! Portable - self propelled even!
Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?

Those are the ones we use - big enough holes to get your hands into and pick the inside. If you like, you can weld some rebar on the bottom for "staking" them into the ground.

That's what mine are made out of too. I've used the reinforcing wire cages for over 10 years. Rusty, but holding up well. The deer bent one or two, but they're all still in pretty good shape.
RWL