Gloat!! School Lockers

Got these a few years back. Nearby high school was being remodeled and the contractor advertised school lockers for $ 1.50 each. The math being easy, I bought 40 of them. Was moving into new home and shop and just happened to have a rented moving van the day they were to be picked up. Contractor tried to talk me into 40 more, but SWMBO said no.

After sitting around for a while I finally built a stand for them out of 1" square tubing. There is 5/8" square horizontal tubing behind the lockers, lag bolted to the poles of the pole barn. In turn the lockers were screwed down at the bottom and along the back to the metal framework and to eachother.

Since lockers only have one side (the next locker provides the other side, etc.) the tops of the 5-stack were open to the sky. I placed 3/4" MDF on top for a storage shelf. Just happened to have a lot of old MDF on hand.

Decided not to place chains (enabling the doors to remain open to a horizontal position) on the doors since horizontal surfaces collect 'things'. When I need items that I cannot hold in one hand I usually take a pushcart with me.

Picture one shows the lockers installed 5 high and 7 long (35 total lockers,

35 feet long). I built the framework for 40 feet but forgot that I lost a few inches because of the vertical corner posts of the shop. Note the junk on top and underneath. No space lost!!

Picture two shows that the platform is raised to allow space for a standard moving carton and also gets things off the ground so the old man does not have to bend.

Picture three shows what I did with the leftover lockers that I couldn't place against the wall. I bolted 6 of them together and use them for my small metal scraps etc. All of the shelves were removed from the 'horizontal' lockers. Many shelves were installed in the vertical group.

The lockers came with a printout of five combinations for each locker. Also came with 3 copies of the master key. The locks are real interesting. Once the door is open there is a pinhole in the back that advances a wheel for next years combination. 5 years total so as to make it more challenging to our under-educated graduate would-be thieves.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Very nice and quite a 'thinking outside of the box' or in your case thinking of the boxes sideways.

Not sure we should allow that much metal related content on r.c.m though. You could ruin the stats. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes