Pulled the trigger !

On a ZX45 milling machine from Wholesale Tools

. Saved enough with my new customer coupon to pay most of the freight ... This is the RF45 clone and now I gotta get that bench built , cuz the cheapo base cabinet I have in that location right now sure isn't going to hold 750 pounds !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Cool! Hope you enjoy your new toy. I bought my first laptop recently, still waiting for it, 250G HD, 1.4ghz dual core, XP pro, 3G memory. I'll be able to play in the garage with the lathe and bridgeport and stay connected to the net.

The RF45 is a good candidate for Mach3 conversion. I might end up owning one some day.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Congrats, Set mine on a welded base, 3x1/4 angle frame with

3/16 sides. with storage for heavy stuff underneath. Do yourself a favor and do the fieldstrip/clean flush gearbox ect. and reassemble before putting into service.

Lots of upgrades available if desired. Pretty handy milldrill . ED

Reply to
ED

The possibilities are endless ... CNC is some time in the future , conversion could easily cost as much as the machine . Baby steps first ! If you haven't played with a dual-core yet , you're going to LOVE it ! How did you manage to get XP Pro? I thought everyone had gone to Vista ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Thanks , Ed , mine is going on a wooden base for now at least . I'm a cabinet maker by trade ... though I do have some 2x2-.110" square tube , and the tools required . Might have to think about that ! How tall is your base ? I plan on a fairly complete disassembly (everything that moves ...) , heard a lot about how nasty they can be . Makes it easier to get it up on the bench too ! Also gives me a chance to fine-tune everything , tram it in and all that . I'm really looking forward to making some chips , this will be a perfect partner to my Wards (Logan) 10 X 30 Lathe .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

My base is 36"H 40"W 30"D I've considered beefing up with some more mass, it will vibrate a bit milling a heavy cut. A solid wood base should be fine, my base came out of the scrap pile, the angle is from a 100 yr old bridge, the sheet from a dump box. I did make a castor system that makes it easy to lift and roll around.

The cosmoline was the worst part, I found my mine to be dead square right out of the crate. The ways were filthy dirty but the gear box was clean, I did replace the oil with new hydraulic oil. Yahoo has a milldrill group with some good info.

I spent more for the tooling than the mill. Enjoy ED

Reply to
ED

XP will not be available after June 2008. Dell had an option to put it on. If it wasn't for June being the dead line I'd probably have waited a bit longer to buy a laptop.

Wes

Reply to
Wes