Almost complete victory over the compressor

The ultimate issue with the motor, and the reason why it vibrated so much and ran so badly and used 35 (IIRC) amps instead of 24, was that the DE (Drive End) bearing was shot.

I did two things:

1) Replaced Drive End bearing 2) Shimmed the bearing so that there is no "end play" in the shaft. (along the axis)

After I replaced it, the motor no longer vibrates, purrs like a baby, and runs this compressor quietly. The only remaining question that I have, is how come the running amps are 29, when the motor is rated for

24 amps.

I used a 6206Z bearing. (note the Z, meaning double sealed)

So, as of now, the compressor runs great as far as I could tell, aside of the amps question.

Reply to
Ignoramus22839

Motors need "some" endplay, i.e.: for lube space. Shim it for .006-.010, see if that helps.

Reply to
DoTell

See if that bearing is getting hot. It may just need a burn-in period but you might reconsider the shim pack and give it a bit of play. I always bang the shaft of a motor I re-bearing back and forth a bit with a soft-blow hammer to help "seat" everything. The seals do add a bit of friction for a while.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It depends on what your input voltage is. The higher the volts, the smaller the amps.

a 5 amp difference is negligible in the grand scheme of things

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Yes, I am positive that I goofed on the play (shimming) issue and shimmed too much. I will leave 1/16 inch of play per Baldor and will see if it makes any difference.

Ignoramus8073

I am just worried about the motor overheating. Anyway, I will give it a little more play and will see how it goes, but I am very hopeful.

Reply to
Ignoramus8073

yep.. I will... the finale is close...

Reply to
Ignoramus8073

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 00:48:03 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "DoTell" quickly quoth:

And ohm out the windings so he can tell which one is shorting?

-- After all, it is those who have a deep and real inner life who are best able to deal with the irritating details of outer life. -- Evelyn Underhill

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I will order it today (need to get a pressure switch also)

thanks Randy...

Ignoramus8073

Most motors I've dealt with use a wave spring at the dead end to thrust the rotor forward and still allow for the rotor to expand when it gets hot.

look here:

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I believe the endplay is needed to allow the rotor to center itself in the stator's magnetic field while running.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

What I think now is that the original owner of this compressor used a wrong bearing, not 6206, but a bearing that was thinner and thus allowed too much endplay. I believe that I should simply take the shims that I put, out, and with the correct 6206 bearing the rotor should have just the right amount of end play.

Reply to
Ignoramus8073

ZZ or Z means shielded, not sealed.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

And in my experience Z would be one shield and ZZ 2 shields, one each side. IIRC sometimes the designation is L or LL and for rubber seals RS or 2RS. For one offs I was recommended to get 2 seal/shield variants as more commonly stocked and flip one out if not required as it easy to do.

Reply to
David Billington

Make sure you have good supply voltage. Compressors really don't like extension cords of any description.

Reply to
DanG

Check supply voltage, yes, never use "extension cords", no. The entire power distribution system is an "extension cord", and there is nothing wrong with using "extension cords" as long as they are of a proper gauge for the length and load and have quality connectors of appropriate ratings.

Reply to
Pete C.

I believe that with my cord, the voltage stays at 230 or so.

Reply to
Ignoramus8073