Craigs list part time machinist update

This situation is turning out better than I could have ever imagined! A month or so ago, I hired a part-time machinist after advertising on Craig's list. He has 20 years experience as a tool and die maker and is currently employed as a CNC programmer at a company a mile away. The next production machine that will hopefully go on line in a couple of months is a copy of two other machines so I have drawings of all the parts to be made. I ran a Gantt chart on the whole project and with my new machinist Tim, we are AHEAD of schedule! (I've never been ahead of schedule!) He truly makes me look like a hack with his speed, quality and methodology.

Tim has a couple of parts done during the night or a more complex part in process, what a nice thing to see in the morning! It's like the machine elves are at work! Tim has also made minor improvements to the parts and quickly understands the sub-systems of the machine and knows what's important and what isn't. The only minor mistakes have been in my drawings that haven't shown a hole being threaded or some other omission that we call a "Secret Squirrel". Ooppps! But, he figured out how to save the part if it was worth it!

So, not only have I been able to reproduce some of my function but improve it. Also, his productivity has inspired the rest of my engineering staff to new heights. I imagine the day that I'm working part-time at my leisure. A bit of fishing, golf, travel and other recreation would be nice and mesh well with my toe-tag retirement plan! I WIN!!!

Now, if Gunner would get home once in a while, he could sell me some linear bearing stuff I need! (hint, hint, wink,wink)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Life is good when you have great help. I suggest you slap some golden handcuffs (pay raise) on that fella before he looks around for another job. There ain't nothin' that says I need you like a pay rate increase.

The one plus of this slow economy is good help is easier to find. We just hired 26 teenagers to pick strawberries. One of the finest groups of youngsters we've ever had.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl I went past your farm a couple weeks ago on my way home from a show. I thought about stopping in to visit but it was Sunday afternoon late. Maybe next time. I have to go down to Hutchinson in July. Steve

Reply to
Up North

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:23:06 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

I disagree with that thought, Karl. A quick bonus would be better as a "Thank you" and preclude the possible secondary reaction: him thinking that he needed to improve his output even more "to deserve the raise." He's doing fine; why mess with a good thing? I'm sure Tawm has told him all he's told us and more.

A bonus could be a new tool that the guy's been wanting or the usual cash thing.

Goodonya, Mate.

-- After all, it is those who have a deep and real inner life who are best able to deal with the irritating details of outer life. -- Evelyn Underhill

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So, are they members of that deep pool of US citizens who are reputed to not be willing to work at such jobs?

I'd pick strawberries for you, but I don't know if any of them would make it to the tray :-).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I'm with Karl -- nothing says "you do good work" than a raise.

I'd give him what I could afford considering the increased productivity, and tell him "You do better than I thought you would, let me make up some of the difference".

Does he redline the erroneous drawings, too? There's nothing I like better than a technician who gives me back my parts with all my drawings redlined. I _like_ it when someone covers my ass that way.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

He named his pay-rate and I told him that he could buy any tooling he needs or wants. I gave him a set of keys and alarm codes and said he can come and go as go pleases. I gave him access to my desk and computers but insisted he pet the cats when they come to visit. (the cats like him, that says it all) He's got a perfect situation with his real job just 5 minutes away and he loves to make chips!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Stop in for a free shop tour and maybe some fresh strawberries. I'd love to have you.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Now you know why I pay by the pound.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You got yourself a dream situation.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I'm sure I'll pay for THAT!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Cash, the most sincere form of flattery.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Don't show up with a gallon of ice cream. He might catch on.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

My mom's shortcake recipe is in play!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

How big is your recipe for? Looks like I got about 30,000 lbs. of strawberries.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I can do the math! ...but even I might get strawberried-out. Do you sell them for fresh consumption or do the go into processing?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Strictly retail fresh on farm market. But a few get lost and return as strawberry rubarb wine.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

From 6 acres ("damndelion" post): say 40,000 sq ft/acre, allowing 10% for access => 240,000 sq ft or 8 sq ft/lb of berry. If rows are 3' apart, 8 sq ft would give 2 2/3 ft (32") of row. 1 lb of berry for 32" of row?