Part-time machinist update

I never thought I'd be under this kind of pressure! My part-time, after dark
machining faerie left a note on my desk that he was catching up on his list of
stuff to do. I've even bolstered his load with consumable parts that we
constantly break or wear out, rather than just new projects. Now, I have to go
to work earlier and miss "Family Feud" and "JAG" just to stay ahead of Tim. I
have to design stuff as fast as I can; speed is NOT my forte!
As he's been working, he's been organizing the tooling, fixturing and materials
to a much more professional degree. His presence has also spurred the rest of
my engineering staff to a higher level of accomplishment. And most of all, he
says he really enjoys what's he's doing, our cool projects and my "eclectic"
people.
Anybody need any machining done?
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Sorry, no, but...
Do the design work as far as you can take it, and leave the 'Machining Faerie' your sketches what you think might work - and a note that if he has a better idea go for it. Then see what shows up on the desk in the morning, might surprise you. And the hairball in your steel-toes is just one of the cats complaining about the rations. You can ignore that.
Either way, it has to follow the usual path: build it and see if it breaks. Redesign, prototype #2, lather rinse repeat.
You could leave a Clippard Minimatic catalog out and see if any of the production machines need to be upgraded. Insurance companies feel a lot better about giving discounts when all the machines that have human hands in the area have "Two Hand No Tie Down" cycle interlocks, and are guarded and interlocked against idiot operators.
And video cameras are the other ace in the hole against people deliberately bypassing safeties and winning themselves a Darwin Award - If nothing else, you can sell the footage to AFV...
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 01:54:39 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:
Have him whip out a mini mill and mini lathe for me, will ya, Tawm? Thatta boy!
-- A great preservative against angry and mutinous thoughts, and all impatience and quarreling, is to have some great business and interest in your mind, which, like a sponge shall suck up your attention and keep you from brooding over what displeases you. -- Joseph Rickaby
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Look out, he's on his way to taking over. As he becomes more & more useful, he becomes more & more central to your operation, and you become more & more dependent upon him. First he'll want raises, then promotions, then ownership portion. Sooner or later it will be his and you'll be wondering what the hell happened.
Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt
Tom,
I know how you feel. Many years ago, I was given help. A nice young gent that worked in maintenance but was recovering from a end over end automotive accident.
Brain a bit damaged as in closed head. Guy was one of those that was a good worker prior to the accident and that the Plant Manager had a soft spot for.
Anyway, I was told to use him and keep an eye on him to keep him out of trouble. Where I work now, he would have been terminated after fmla unless he was fully recovered.
Oh, forgot to mention. The place I worked at closed. The gent recovered and moved on to a position closer to home. Actually he was my reference for the position I currently hold.
Anyway to get to the point. Having help ment I was expected to get more things done. Which ment more planning, designing, buying, dealing with issues, ect.
It didn't take long to figure out that I was working longer and harder having help and the compensation didn't exactly track the productivity gains.
Now in you case, you own the place so profits do go back to you. While I do understand what you are experiencing, don't expect tears from me bud. :)
Wes
Wes
In the same light - when a engineering crunch is coming on, the brothers and sisters just hunker down and grab root. They pray that they don't get help as the help is like loosing two or more.
We say it time and time again. It is better to work 10 hours a day than get help.
If the help is an equal it lugs you down getting them on-board. Not near as bad as one with nominal skill that needs to be brought up.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Tim's just the shot in the arm that I need! The situation pushes me out of a lackadaisical routine and the "young blood" atmosphere revives memories of when I was more on mission. After so many years of fire-fighting, being in a comfort zone now has it's down-side in that there's more I can accomplish that will bolster my golden years in the long run. (note time-stamp of post)
Reply to
Tom Gardner
I'm glad that this is working for you. Being the guy with the S on your shirt wears old after a while. Even here, where I currently work, I try to impart knowledge to the other techs so when I come in, I only hear about what they fixed on the previous shifts rather than fix what they could not.
We have a new tech. Seems pretty damn smart, I may have to study a bit harder to stay ahead of him. I'm still mentoring him but I have a feeling I may get something back, learning wise, out of this guy down the road. I can hope.
Sure hope to be able to visit next year before names. I'd sure like to see your place.
Wes
Wes
That would be wonderful! Be welcome anytime...but you have to promise not to laugh! One downside about my new guy is that he hasn't much "vision" to improve or troubleshoot a poorly designed part or mechanism but I'm encouraging his input and discuss a part and it's function before he makes it.
Reply to
Tom Gardner