Machinist definition (redux)

The reason I ask is that one of my mechanics has entered onto legal documents (Worker's comp.) that he is a "machinist". I don't know the ramifications one way or the other but this is part of a pattern of misrepresentation as far as his job description that he has presented to the BWC. (See "carpal tunnel syndrome" post from a few months ago...claim rejected twice but he found a doctor to say it is work related...imagine that!)

He's a mechanic! I've been doing lathe and mill work for 30+ years and I don't conceder myself a legitimate "Machinist".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

A lot of mechanic type work can significantly contribute or even cause carpal tunnel syndrome. It is a real disease that is very often work related.

I do not know whether the person in question has real carpal tunnel and whether it is work related, but it is possible in general.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by repetitive motions that stress the wrist in awkward positions. Examples are: extensive (hours daily) use of screwdrivers, vibrating tools such as die grinders, maybe hammering, knives (think people who slice meat), etc.

Ignoramus10070

"Tom Gardner" wrote in news:QJh1f.718$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

Does he have a degree or certification from an accredited school saying he is a machinist? Does his job consist of entirely machining? If he spends over 75% of his time doing machinist work, he might have a claim on the job title, irregardless of what his actual job code is.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

They're likely to go to the dictionary: Machinist: 1) a person who makes or repairs machinery 2) a worker skilled in using machine tools 3) a worker who operates a machine

and just for good measure: Machine tool: an automatic or semiautomatic power-driven tool, as an electric lathe, punch press, drill, or planer: machine tools are used in making machines or machine parts.

If they aren't lazy, the BLS defines Machinist, metal under

as

E637 MACHINISTS Exclude Apprentices (E639) , Helpers (H874) , and Tool and Die Makers (E634) . Set up and operate machine tools to fabricate parts and fit and assemble parts for mechanisms, metal parts, tools or machines of an establishment applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, and layout machinery procedures. Study specifications such as blueprints, sketches, or descriptions of part to be replaced, and plan sequence of operations.

Other similar classifications relating to specific machinist trades can be found at

Hope this narrows it down a little

Koz

Reply to
Koz

In the end, probly doesnt matter much if at all whether has represented himself upon a claim form as a machinist or mechanic...though a call to an attorney or at least to the claims authority might be in order if you think it might be a negative factor in your case.

===

FWIW, my opinion is that an employer who routinely fights what might very well be legimate claims is a far worse person than any worker who might have filed a false one...our policy here has always been that if a worker feels something MIGHT be work-related, then to encourage him to seek medical attention and file under workmans comp......

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Hell, I think any minor repetitive motion can cause this. I had my arm get strange and painful just from operating a laptop pc while reclining in bed. For some reason operating the mouse in a reclining position caused a problem. A month or so of avoiding that situation and my arm felt better.

Reply to
Dave

Or positive, if it undermines his credibility.

You need to go follow the earlier thread. If Tom is representing things accurately he doesn't routinely fight -- the guy appears to be looking for a free lunch, and he's chosen an injury that's hard to pin down. I agree with you in general, but when you have someone trying to work the system you should dig in your heels.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

While I usually don't recommend things I haven't tried myself and probably can't even understand, I'll relate this tale to the group in case it might prove useful to someone suffering from carpal tunnel problems.

SWYMBO developed that syndrome shortly after her 60th birthday, probably from too much keyboarding. Her orthopod tried shots which didn't help much and then suggested surgery.

Her niece is a yoga practitioner and instructor (Not a career I would have expected a pretty woman with a Batchelors and Masters from Harvahd to end up in.)

She suggested trying yoga exercises with a practitioner she'd trained, a woman who happens to live two houses away from us.

It worked! The wife's wrist pains left her and stay away as long as she remembers to do her prescribed yoga exercises once or twice a week.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

A mechanic is much more likely to develop carpal tunnel than a general machinist (a production machinist may be a different matter). Extensive use of a screwdriver or a ratchet wrench, for example, can do it.

Related is tendonitis in its various forms. I did myself in on that a few years back by squeezing too hard on a stuck release button on a control lever. The doctor gave me a wrist brace and some industrial strength anti-inflammatory pills. Since then, I've gone through it several times (never as bad as that first time). It usually takes about a week to clear up...

As far as your guy is concerned, talk to your insurance carrier about having him see a surgeon who specializes in carpal tunnel. If he has a legit problem, he'll be grateful. If he's faking it, he'll probably get well in a hurry.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Well what does his job description say about his duties? Does it mention a title?

Reply to
Mike Henry

Okay then, in both cases the keyword here would be "routinely".....

Really no reason for me to go back to the earlier thread, as Ive already spoken my mind--my best wishes go out to the OP.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

History:

  1. He applied for numerous new credit cards, bought all the stuff (k) to rehab 3 houses bought a k diamond ring (claimed his wife lost it, I saw it at a party) ---declared bankruptcy and is counting the days to do it again.

  1. I caught him and his friend loading up his pick-up with my kerosene heater...should have fired him then...severely kicking myself.

  2. Riles-up employees with lies and has told people that his purpose is to scam the BWC for as much as possible using a lawyer directed plan.

Actually this guy is milk-toast and quite talented if in the mood, his wife is in control and has belittled him for years for only making $30k. She IS a certified, medicated nut-job with questionable, multiple suicides in her history. This woman SCARES me and just HATES everyone.

Other than this guy, our claim record shows NO lost time and only minor cuts and scrapes for 20 years. This is the safest place to work in the USA.

Whatever this will all cost, I will end up paying 5 to 7 times that figure for the next five years. I plan on farming out more and more to reduce my workforce to nothing. This country better get it's shit together about it's manufacturing base.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You might be surprised--( though I spose the whole deal might vary tremendously from state to state )...

Here, rates are primarily scheduled as an average that's based upon similar industry, and for the most part aren't dependant upon any individual company's claims record.

So, ( and like I said earlier ) suggest consult an attorney or at the least call the claims authority and ask what might happen to your rates based upon this "so called injury"...

Otherwise, your turning the situation into a "personal vendetta" that holds little prospect of providing you with material gain would be a needless waste of time and effort.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

He can call himself whatever he likes, it's what he does that counts, and his pay history is prima facie evidence of the value of his time. A theoretical physicist flippin' burgers is a burger-flipper to his employer.

Reply to
Don Foreman

We have a "Risk Management" group that has been on top of this forever and I have the advice of many other lawyers. (17 in my circle of cousins) The BWC has rejected this twice now and he is appealing it to a higher authority, the Industrial Commission. The BWC is convinced this is a bogus claim. I will do what I believe is right and legal to fight this scam. God willing, I won't be hurt too bad. It goes against my grain to just bend over and drop 'em even though when a man sues you for your coat you are supposed to give him your shirt also. I feel responsible for the rest of my people and their families who are going to pay this in the long run.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I had carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists as a result of a crushing injury. I had the nerve conduction tests done and it was determined that one wrist needed surgery and the other one maybe. Not wanting any kind of cutting I put off surgery for as long as possible. Eventually had it done because nothing I did worked for the one wrist, the damage was too great. But wearing braces at night has kept the carpal tunnel at bay for the right wrist as well as preventing a return in the repaired wrist. Proper exercises, which I have to do every day, are aslo part of prevention. But as Jeff said above, surgery can sometimes be avoided if other things are done. If the wrists had not been so damaged the carpal tunnel surgery would have been avoided alltogether. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

My mom had carpal tunnel syndrome, due to computer programming.

Her employer tried to fight her claim too. (my mom won). I have no doubt that it was due to work, since she does not do any other repetitive motions.

A tip that she learned and that made sense is that it also helps to have strong wrists. So, say, exercises with dumbbells help prevent CTS.

My wrists are actually quite weak and I need to exercise them better... I can do, say, 10 pullups, but my wrists are way too weak.

Ignoramus30105

Having grown up in CT, where there a lot of machine shops and factories, and whose dad was a tool and die maker, I can tell you what workers commonly refer to themselves, if that'll help.

A machinist is someone who sets up production machines. They must know how to use mics, calipers, and dial indicators well enough to accurately adjust production machinery for a given job (e.g. setting tool bits, and carriage stops on a turret lathe).

A machine operator runs the machine that the machinist set up. They load stock for the machine to work on, start and stop the machine, and generally baby sit the thing.

A tool and die maker works to close tolerances fabricating one-off parts or assemblies. They are skilled in using all of the measuring instruments, reading mechanical drawings, and setting up and operating tool room type lathes and milling machines, etc. (e.g. the most interesting project my father worked on (to me) was making a prototype trigger assembly for Winchester Repeating Arms). Tool and die makers will sometimes consult with engineers to work bugs out of a design, depending on whether the engineer resents it or not :-)

All of the guys I know who work in machine shops and factories around here would agree on the definitions above.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

Engineers worth having around seek consult with good tool & die makers or modelmakers while doing the design.

Reply to
Don Foreman

One error - There *were* a lot of machine shops and factories in CT. They are largely gone now 'cause they aren't trendy.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.