Zebra Stripes - Tangency - Loft

So, there I was sittin' there and minding my own business and then "Swx is unable to obtain required memory..."

That is not the point of this post. We'll leave that one to Good Ol' Bob Zee.

I am drawing a fairly complicated little part that has a number of radii and an intricate loft. This part needs to be completely smooth - perfect tangencies, etc. How do I go about making sure that it is correct? Is the 'zebra stripes display' the way to go? If so, how do I read and understand what I am seeing?

Thanks, group. You guys rock.

Arlan ...driving 90 miles to work - one way...

Reply to
Arlan.Murphy

The fastest and surest way to check an entire model for c1 tangency is to turn the display to HLR wireframe, and change the tangent edge display to 'as phantom'. (under system options-display/selection). All tangent edges are dashed, all non-tangent edges are solid lines. In my opinion (I think that's implied, but I have to add that since aquiring my own Cliff) I find zebra stripes to require way too much rotation and zooming to catch the edges that are just a little off - using HLR nails the non-tangent edges right away in a non-ambiguous way.

The next step was mentioned by the Tick - if you have a hard line indicating non-tengency, check to see if the non-tangency is big enough to matter by using deviation analysis. If its a fraction of a degree, it probably won't matter and will get polished out when making the tool. Most of the solidworks surfacing tools (loft, fill, etc) frequently are a little off - the SolidWorks guys have told me they think anything within a degree is really good. Be especially careful of certain settings.

- 'Optimise surface' on a tangent surface fill will give you surfaces that are sometimes OK, and other times are 10-20 degrees off tangnet (while turning it off gives really nice connections within a fraction fo a degree).

- I find it iroic that if you use 'curvature continuous' as a start or end tangency on a loft you can end up with a deviation analysis that can be 2-10 degrees off tangent!

- Also be careful of edges between sections on a variable radius fillet

- the different fillet sections might not be tangent to each other and might require some repair with surface fills

Ed

Reply to
ed1701

Reply to
That70sTick

Banquer-hood? Dare I dream? Alas, I must humbly admit that it is beyond me to even attempt to compare to him, and I regret it if anyone read my post as an attempt to latch on to his stardom. I am just a man - he is the legend, the institution. Ed

Reply to
ed1701

. I'd wager someone recently confused him again on C2 vs. G2 too.

Reply to
Cliff

Cliff,

Got that profile yet? How long exactly should it take you to post a simple 2 axis profile?

Tom

Cliff wrote:

Reply to
brewertr

Tom,

You do realize that after I modeled Bottlebob's part in VX and posted the screen shots that Cliff never would take the challenge and never could produce *any proof* that he can use a modern CADCAM system.

What has it been 2 years now since I posted the VX screen shots of Bottlebobs part?

He's mentally ill, Tom and he has been for many years.

Jon Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

Jon,

Thanks for the warning, I am aware as I am sure most people are that Cliff has for sport been cyberstalking you for years.

Tom

j> > Cliff,

Reply to
brewertr

Tom,

Cliffys mental illness is very hard for most people to accept and understand. No doubt in my mind that Cliffy is getting worse every year. Cliffy still sends me e-mail even when I have made it clear I don't wish to hear from him by e-mail so he uses fake names... typical of his stalker behavior.

Cliffy tried using fake names to post to the MMS Online CADCAM Forum in an effort to stalk me and they deleted all of his posts. Still laughing my ass off over that one.

Cliffy has done so much damage to alt.machines.cnc that I got sick of his shit and requested and got a CAD/CAM Web Forum on

and it seems to be doing very well.

I wish MMS Online should follow Practical Machinists lead but for some reason A.J. does nothing about their crappy web software and tries to moderate the entire thing himself. Maybe A.J. had no funds available but in the mean time American Machinist Magazine is just kicking Modern Machine Shops ass with its Practical Machinist online forums and making Modern Machine Shop look like fools.

I had high hopes for CNC Zone but the owner Paul turned out to be a total asshole who is only interested in making as much money as he can from on-line advertisers and will suck their c**ks even when it's not in the best interest of the forum as a whole. Chris Corbel ( A lying little f*ck if there ever was one) of BobCADCAM basically got Paul the owner of CNC Zone to rim his ass in an effort to protect BobCADCAM from legitimate criticism.

Many of the regulars on CNC Zone got sick of Paul's phony ass, said f*ck you, and headed to the Practical Machinist Web Forums.

A former long time poster to alt.machines.cnc is the moderator of the CAD/CAM forum that I requested and got. He no longer posts to alt.machines.cnc like many of us no longer will do.

IMO, if you or others want to try and save what little is left of alt.machines.cnc then a moderated newsgroup or web forum should be started.

It's unfortunate that say Anthony, Black Dragon or Steve Mackay won't or can't create a moderated newsgroup or web forum for alt.machines.cnc.

One last note. You gave me credit for saying that SolidWorks sucks at large assemblies. I don't work with large assemblies and I never said this. That SolidWorks sucks at large assemblies has been stated by SolidWorks users like Paul Salvador and others.

Salvador has also stated that SolidWorks does not work very well for top down design. Salvador and I rarely get along or see eye to eye and he can feel free to correct anything that he feels I got wrong in regards to Solidworks handling of top down design or large assemblies.

Jon Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

Count the lies . And watch the confusion ...

Reply to
Cliff

How cool.

Even among all the off-topic posting and petty bickering, I can still wean useful information and new resources.

A friend of mine refers to this as signal-to-noise ratio

Reply to
Jon Grimm

Jon Grimm,

comp.cad.solidworks is a depository of useful mostly on topic information where alt.machines.cnc has become a suppository of useless off topic dribble.

Tom

J> How cool.

Reply to
brewertr

...and thanks to people like you who thoughtlessly cross post and include previous posts in their reply we all get both whether we like it or not... :o(

Reply to
neil

Niel,

I was responding to the thread and did not notice the cross post when replying.

However you just did the same thing your complaining about, you cross posted a response to a thread in both groups. Doesn't make sense to me, do as I say not as I do?

Tom

neil wrote:

Reply to
brewertr

probably because I don't know to which group you actually subscribe to and also to make the point to others who do this - usually alt.machines people -clear?

Reply to
neil

Neil,

I subscribe to both groups.

Clear, you think it's OK for you but not for others.

Tom

neil wrote:

Reply to
brewertr