Best Cut-off Machine

Hi! I'm in the scrap metal business and I need a good reliable gasoline cut-off machine (not chop saw). I had a stihl cut-off, it wasn't that reliable. Can anyone tell me what is a good reliable brand of a gasoline cut-off machine.

Thanks.

Reply to
ScrapGuy

Anything with a Honda motor.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Depends on what you are cutting, how fast, how precise, how much you want to spend on consumables...

I have no idea what you are dealing with, but my first thought for cutting up aluminum extrusions for reuse would be to get a regular Cold Saw (slow speed carbide circular saw on a very rigid miter saw type stand) and a gasoline generator set to run it from.

A good gasoline or diesel generator set and good electric power tools would be a LOT easier than converting an electric power tool to a gasoline engine. And a lot quieter if you put the generator in an enclosure.

There are other ways to do it too, like a hydraulic motor to transmit power betweeen the engine and the saw, but that adds complexity and failure points - unless you already have the hydraulic source, say a tractor, sitting there idling with a nice hydraulic pump built in.

And instead of a little extension cord you have a big twin-line hose back to the truck.

If you are just making the scrap chunks small enough to fit in the bin and precision is not a concern, they make hydraulic powered shear-pincer-grabber arms for excavators - you grab the long sticks of scrap, swing over the rollaway bin or rock trailer, and snip them in half to let them drop in the bin.

Or the small hand version, the hydraulic cutter that is sold with the Hurst Rescue Tool AKA "Jaws Of Life" - if it can cut the A and B-pillars of a car in mere seconds to remove the roof, you can do the same to scrap metal.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I understood him to mean one of these...

Ned Simmons

In the stihl chainsaw world, production was moved off shore and quality has suffered. The best chainsaws are the older ones that are still in good condition. I bet the same is true of your cutoff machine.

Karl

Reply to
karl townsend