Drill press arbor falling out

I got my new drill press:

After assembling it according to instructions I run a few tests. When I tried to look at the spindle run-out the arbor fell out no less than 3 times at speeds just over 800 rpm. It is a MT2 spindle with JT3 chuck.

I do not recall having this problem with my last drill press. Also, after I drilled a couple of holes I had no other fall outs. Can I take it that the taper will seat itself properly with the actual drilling process or should I be looking at other things?

Reply to
Michael Koblic

I had that happen. I had to clean the oil completely off then whack it in with a rubber mallet. Not sure that's the right way but it worked for me. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Morse tapers HATE side pressure.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

I bought a new drill press (a cheap one) about a year ago and had the chuck falling off was a problem. What you did helped for awhile, but then the problem reoccurred. I put a drop of gel CA on shaft, and it has not fallen off since. I suppose I will have a problem if I ever have to remove chuck, but I don't have to do that very often.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I assume it is the morse taper that you are having trouble with.

Clean both tapers, assemble dry.

drive with a block of hardwood endgrain.

If it still fails, you could have a problem with one taper, or the other. or both.

Reply to
Jon

Tapers have to be clean and grease free. Also no pimples on the surface. You can check this last with some prussian blue, you should get an even smear of color when all is well. Of course, then you get to clean it all off afterwards! Brake cleaner is your friend here. An old dodge I've mentioned several times that's out of an old shop tips book I've got is to take some regular blackboard chalk and draw 4 or 5 lines along the length of the taper, then install the shank. Not sure if it's the chalk or the rosin binder that does the job, but it works! Good for taper shanks in tailstocks and the chuck tapers, too. You shouldn't have to actually drive a Morse taper shank to get it to stick.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Backboard chalk? That's calcium carbonate, no rosin.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

No it's not, it's gypsum (calcium sulphate). Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Possibly, but not typically. Have a look at the Crayola package.

The mineral "chalk" is by definition calcium carbonate.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch