Fosdick drill press company

Are they still in business, could not find anything

** Sent from my Google phone ** I apologize for any typos **
Reply to
Ignoramus9171

Sounds like a fearless business. :>)

Reply to
Calif Bill

I dont' think so, but they make a heck of a drill. I had one a while ago. Ii weighed around 2500". Lot of iron in it. Weighed almost as much as my Dad's radial drill.

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:52:23 -0700, the infamous "Calif Bill" scrawled the following:

Right you are, Mr. Tracy.

-- Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. --Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I looked at one today, someone was selling it. What an amazing machine. I wish I had space for it. Pictures are here:

This machine probably weighs 1,300 lbs or so.

If I get the price down to $200 or so, maybe I will reconsider.

Ignoramus12651

The only Fosdick we ever interfaced with had a MT3 taper spindle and quite a heavy duty quill. I call those machines, and many of the others in their class WWII machines since they were usually made during that time period AND survived until today.

Some other brands that were once made huge and impressive:

Buffalo Cincinnati Bickford Clausing Daytons Delta Rockwell (?) Enco Ibarmia Juaristi Manhattan Supply Palmgren Republic Lagoon Rockford Solberga (Willis Solberga now?) Sterlitamak Summit Willis Wisconsin

Almost any radial arm drill press made before 1975...

Not all drill press-only machines, but all quite useful at times for big manual drilling jobs.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Looks like a smaller version of the drill I had. Mine was a 24" Drill. It was big. MT3, which is why I got rid of it. Nothing wrong with MT3, but my other press was MT4, and so is Dad's. Common tooling is nice.

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

It is nice to have a daddy with a MT4 drill press.

The only drill my Dad has is a 1/4" handheld drill. He is not using it much.

Anyway, I would imagine that much of your time is spend with reducing Morse adaptors. Want a MT4 to MT1 adaptor?

Ignoramus12651

Hmm? We both have MT4. Couple of good Jacob's chucks with MT4 shank. We have some taper shank drills, but pretty random (and big,

2"+).

Jw

Reply to
cyberzl1

Yes, it would take me three adapters to that now. Don't know that I'd ever run that small a drill in my radial arm unit but at least I could.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

How about MT4 to JT0? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

My dad's machine shop had a very similar drill. Drilled thousands of 1" holes in 1" plate with that unit. For the base of Padeyes that we welded on to ships that were being scrapped. weld on the padeye to the deck, hook up a crane and cut deck out of ship. Load holds with scrap metal, replace deck and weld it closed. Tow boat to Japan. Late 1950's. Sack a bunch of bases, and turn on the coolent and autofeed the drill.

Reply to
Calif Bill