Heinisch scissors and New Jersey USA

It's the same Wiss. I also have two sets of Wiss aviation snips -- one from before WWII.

Were they armed?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I was talking with an antique restorer I know here in the UK earlier today and she was doing some upholstery with a very nice pair of scissors. On close inspection they were made by Heinisch in Newark New Jersey and appeared to be in very good condition. A brief search seems to say that Heinisch was taken over by Wiss around 1915 so these scissors are potentially quite old but in very good condition. She acquired them from a house clearance sale some years ago. The earlier search seemed to show that Wiss made scissors identical to the Heinisch from the pics I found so maybe they kept on making the same tools with a different makers name, that happens sometimes and other times the old makers name is continued. Any ideas what happened in this case. Also I have a set of Wiss aviation snips, is this the same company?.

Reply to
David Billington

I also have a pair of Wiss scissors. I always assumed it was the same company as the tin snips - I'd be surprised to learn otherwise.

As an aside, I saw video on the news this week of people riding Jet Skis in the streets of Newark New Jersey after the hurricane.

Reply to
rangerssuck

That name sounded familiar. Shears like the bottom pair?

The top pair, though not as impressive in their construction and finish, are my favorites. I had never bothered to look them up before, but found this reference. The shears are marked with the image of Saturn with GENIUS underneath.

Ned Simmons

Yes those are the ones or very like them. In my search yesterday they seemed to make them in different sizes but the same basic style.

Reply to
David Billington

Yes I've seen on the news that you guys on the east coast got it pretty bad with Irene and while the winds weren't as bad as expected the rain has probably caused more damage than the winds. I saw somewhere that a new storm might be brewing off Africa and maybe 40% chance it'll be another big storm, hopefully for your sakes it fizzles out in the Atlantic.

Reply to
David Billington

Horse scrapers? Whassat?

Do you prefer the blunt nose, so you can slide them between sheets? Or what makes them your fave?

I picked up a nice 12" Eyetalyun pair from an eBay vendor. What a difference they make in working with sheet fabrics. My first nice pair of scissors, Tesoro, are beefy, hot-forged jobs @ $33.

-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Probably similar to the older Wiss model 4N.

Reply to
beecrofter