Interesting Odds and Sods

Not particularly under one heading so I'll lump this lot all together:

We have acquired a small NC engraving machine on ebay, advertised as a light NC milling machine. It is quite nicely put together by an American company called Newing-Hall, who had an association with a company in Leeds by the same name, but that company has gone down the tubes now.

The machine was used to produce small parts for musical instruments (woodwind) out of silver-nickel (or nickel-silver) and was serviced annually by the makers.

Got to collect it later this week and find room somewhere for it, but it starts to make a bit of sense around our electrical manufacturing ideas for old switch boards, and it also has good possibilities for small pattern making...

Pictures on the auction site:

We already have a decent manual Taylor-Hobson 'K' machine in store, which has its own font sets, the new machine has digitizing capabilities via a graphics tablet as well as its own built-in font sets.

Second interesting item that Kim would probably appreciate is a Scintilla Magneto book on Mica. Not just that but a very detailed account of the mineral and its uses in magnetos. Even has a some sample pieces inside!

Not sure why it was put together, probably for the military customers. It also has a couple of booklets on the elimination of Mica as a strategic material, replcing it with a manufactured 'mica paper', and another on the mineral in general.

It's all dated in the mid to late 1950's, so not a WWII item, but technically interesting nevertheless.

Last item is the recent addition of some Kohler manuals to the library, we have acquired three more books from the USA, two mainly for the older 4-cylinder gennies and the other for the slightly later Briggs & Stratton and Kohler single-cylinder models.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes