Heliweld arc stabilizer

Wait-wait, dont sell the HF (high voltage maker) if you expect to get a Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC. If the Miller you get doesnt already have a HF in it, you could certainly build a good TIG with a stick welder that includes remote current control.

Earlier I was identifying the characteristic of TIG where it is possible to scratch start an arc with the Tungsten and it will remain an arc with DC. That wont work with AC.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

Thanks. For tig welding with it, though, I still need an arc stabilizer and gas and gun etc, those would qualify as "addons", right?

The one I am eyeing does not have HF mentioned anywhere on it...

Ignoramus23186

It's very helpful to know. Thank you very much. I will try to get that machine.

Ignoramus23186

I got it...

Thanks Jerry. I am starting to understand it a little better.

Ignoramus23186

I did a little googling. The Heliweld Arc Stabilizer is defintely an HF unit sold by Airco. With that and a Dialarc 250 you should be able to do some very nice TIG welding both on steel and aluminum.

Reply to
Don Foreman

This is beautiful! Thanks! We'll see if I get the DialArc.

Ignoramus23186

Indeed. In fact, Ive personally turned away a number of Tig machines over the last couple months, simply because I dont need any more than the 3 that I now own..the most expensive was $300.

They are out there, in growing numbers as the inverter based hip slick and cool machines start taking over the market and the older, bigger and heavier transformer based machines are retired, not because they dont work..but because they are simply older, bigger and heavier.

Never overlook your local welding machine repair shop. They often get machines in for repair that had only a few things wrong with them, cheaply fixed, but the owners decided to buy a new machine and abandonded them. One of the posters here got two of them for $100 after I gave him a heads up. Another Miller Dialarc 250HF was for sale for $150 at a machine tool dealer. Reliable tool had a complete but filthy one, cooler, torches and bottles that went out the door for $150, simply because it was too nastly looking to put up on their auction site. And it worked perfectly. I tested it.

They are out there, ya just have to look for em.

Gunner, who finally dialed in his absolutely mint Airco PulseArc 350 MIG welder and got it running beautifly on his 5hp rotary phase converter, this weekend. (swapped for) and its sitting next to his absolutely mint Airco Squarewave 300 Tig (came with Bernard cooler, cart, hoses, torch, stick setup and bottle) (swapped) and on the other side of the welding table (which is over the Miller Dialarc 300 stick machine ($50), the DanMig 200 Mig (gift) and opposite the Lincoln Tig

250/250 which was the worst deal as it cost him $150 and two Simpson 260s (from a welding machine repair shop) and also was complete with torches and stick, and two busted Lincoln Magnum coolers which he made into one good one.
Reply to
Gunner

That is one of the best rock solid stick welders ever made. AC/DC They made a HF version which had TIG capabilities built into the same box, The stock DialArc has been a mainstay in California school shops simply because they were so hard to kill.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I will definitely call some welding repair shops. A great idea.

Thanks!

Ignoramus23186

That's nice to know. I will try to get it. Can I store it outdoors (maybe covered with tarp)? I am in Midwest, with its climate.

Ignoramus23186

I store mine under the welding table, outdoors. But ...I think Id tarp yours if I were you. Or better yet, slide it under a work bench. Its not all that long. A simple low cart with casters will make it easy to slide in and out, and can be used from under the bench handily.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Frankly..its better to simply show up and chat with the owner or manager. Often times over the phone they will blow you off. When you show up and tell em you are a newbie looking to get into tig/welding, they will generally go a bit farther in thinking about what machines over yonder in the scrap pile were easily fixed etc.

just a heads up. And you add another face to your "network"

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I basically have very limited space in my garage. I made a bench on wheels yesterday, which I will use for grinding. I will have a 1/2HP baldor grinder, little wet wheel sharpenet, and a chop saw on it. Made out of old kitchen cabinet and wheels from a demolished UPS. The idea is that since grinding is dirty, I could pull out the grinding bench/cart outside and do my grinding outdoors without contaminating the garage with crap. It will be healthier too.

I cannot have many such carts in my garage basically, without being ridiculous. Plus, welding is healthier outdoors. Hence my question about outdoor storage. I could make some doghouse for the welder also.

Ignoramus23186

If you intend to weld outdoors, you might want to re-consider investigating in a TIG welder. For example, what would you be welding that a stick/buzzbox wouldnt weld? TIG sure doesnt like wind. TIG really likes Very Clean metal. The electronics in the TIG doesnt like water. Then there is the price of a buzzbox compared to a TIG. The TIG even requires the bottles plus gas plus special rod. My advice would be for you to wait till you really need the TIG, and use a buzzbox till then. You could store a buzzbox in a trash can if there isnt room for it in a corner of the garage.

I know, thats enough BS from me. You do what ever is best for you.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

Oh oh...time to scrounge a Shop. One of those 8x20 or 8x 40 SeaTrain containers will make a great shop. Mil-surp too

A doghouse would be best then. I dont think it will survive being out in the open. Here..average rainfall per YEAR is around 4"(inches)

Oh..btw..I scrounged up 6 Lincoln "LinConditioners" last week. They look like shop vacs. with a big ceramic filter thingy bobby inside and are used to suck in welding smoke, and exhaust clean(er) air.

All work just hunky dory if anyone needs one, and I have the owners manuals (copies)

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Jerry...want one of those smoke vacuums? Free for you of course. And I will deliver.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

No thanks Gunner, I dont really mind making a smoky mess in the garage. But, have you been talkng to my wife?? She really doesnt like the messes I make.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

Thanks. A doghouse is, in fact, a good option. I built a very nice doghouse for my genset.

Ignoramus23186

It's a good idea, but not as easy for me, I work during the day.

Ignoramus23186

That's quite agreeable, in fact. If I get the dialarc (doubtful), I would just keep it and use it.

Ignoramus23186