Help bed casting

sorry if this is a repeat, I never saw my first attempt

Anyone out there who could cast an extended bed for one of the

7x10,12,14 Chinise lathes for me?

I would like to get to a capacity of 36 in between centers.

yes, I know they are crap, but one could work fine for me.

I once had a link for someone who did bed castings for very modest prices, but they seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth.

FWIW, you can buy a bed extension for a comp. small wood lathe, but even LittleMachineShop doesn't have anything past 14 inches.

Any and all leads, tips, advises would be greatly appreciated.

I live in soutern Ohio

TIA Otto

Reply to
ottomatic

Do you have a pattern made?

The tricky part is the pattern since there are commercial foundries who would cast your lathe bed, but prices may not moderate.

Reply to
Mark

not yet, but I think I can come up with a pattern once I locate someone who is willing to cast it foe less than what I paid for my first house.

Otto

Reply to
ottomatic

Otto Quite a few people have bought an extra bed and grafted onto the original. In your case it would take two. There is a Yahoo group devoted to extended minilathes.

Rex B

Reply to
Rex B

thanks for the tip, though that option is also one I am trying to avoid i didn't know there was a goup specfically for extended minis do you knkow the name of the group?

thx Otto

Reply to
ottomatic

Just my opinion, but I think you'll find so much work involved in this that buying a larger lathe would make much more sense. The casting will have to be aged, or heat treated to stabilize it. Then, you're looking at quite a few machining operations - milling, followed by grinding or hand scraping. Why not just buy a larger machine?

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

I would love to buy a 7x mini with a longer bed(36 in between centers) no such animal exisit, so far as I know

Otto

Reply to
ottomatic