here is my welding table

I was asked to show my welding table by an e-mail so I thought I would list it tonight on metalworkers web for everyone to see. Here it is:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/welding_table.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/welding_table_1.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/welding_table_2.JPG
I hope this helps
Don D.
Well I finally got around to having a couple days to myself. I spent it making this rack to get my steel off a bench table.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_1.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_2.JPG
Not much but it gave me a day to play with my Miller 175. Now I have my 135 up for sale as long as I don't need that one . Pictured in the rack is not the steel I am talking about. This is the steel
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wall_mount_steel_rack_4.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wall_mount_steel_rack_3.JPG
There may be a chance I might get organized.
NOT!!
Don D.
Don D. wrote:

Nice. How much did the entire rack project cost you in materials and consumables? - GWE
4 casters $15.00 1 20' 1/2 sq $7.?? Bed frames FREEBEE'S 4' 3/4 sq, left over scrap 24 x 48 expanded metal, left over about $7.?? 1 spray can Primer and 2 spray cans paint flat black $6.?? 2 days: prep, cutting, welding, painting all mig welded... Total $35.00
OH my god now I figured out I spent to much money on that...
Thanks alot, I had no idea before this... ........................ Just kidding
I hope that is what you wanted.
Don D.

Now ask yourself how much you'd sell it for, in other words how much real actual value it has for YOU? I bet it's way more than $35.
A little while ago I built a rack for storing steel. Mine was a little different, and I didn't paint mine. I think I got my cost under $10.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/ScrapRack.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/ScrapRackBeingBuilt.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/ScrapRackDone.jpg
My shop is a *much* better place to work with all that scrap neatly piled onto a rack!
GWE
Don D. wrote:

Grant The rack is worth way more to me than 35.00 but I would not pay that much more if I had to buy one, knowing I can build it my self. Every thing is getting into one place now instead of looking in different places saying "I know I saw it someplace or here before" I personally like to be a little organized so I do not spend my time looking for things al the time. Plus the neighbors don't bitch so much....... Now my wife on the other hand, that is a different story. "Why do you have so much JUNK on the side of the house" I just ask her to leave this side, because this in my corner, She has the rest of the house.
Don D.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:05:55 -0700, the inscrutable "Don D."

Wow, I was just quoted $29.90 for a 20' stick of 1/2" square tubing at the local scrap metal yard. After seeing your price, I called another local steel shop and they get $9.21 for it. I should have brought those 2 bed frames up here with me when I moved. This welder is on wheels but the consumables aren't handy. I found that the hand-held mask from HF that came with the welder was useless and Icouldn't see squat, so I made another trek to HF for the $49 special. What a difference! I'll be pop-riveting a leather piece over the top to help more with the light since I'm welding outside now.
://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_2.JPG
I just build similarly configured rack out of wood for my woodworking clamps. All 60 fit, with room to spare!
"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
I go to a scrap yard to buy gas well pipe for my posts for the horses to hold their panel to and the gates. I also buy anything straight that I can use all for .20 cents a pound. three 9' X 3"? gas well and misc. pipes and steel, weighed in @ 100 lb $20.00, a 75 - 100 lb piece of R/R tie for banging on $5.00. I like scrap yards, there are a lot of things I could modify to work for something else... Better that buying new if you are using it just for your own use... The old saying is "One mans junk is another mans treasure"
Don D.
spake:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:03:16 -0700, the inscrutable "Don D."

I just picked up a pallet of ties for $6.99 each and am fitting the truck with a crane so I can drag the sumbitches around the yard when I start playing this Spring. ;) Well pipe is thickwalled stuff, isn't it? $20 is a great price for 1+ projects' worth of "stuff."

The White City yard (half an hour's drive away) must have 50x the "stuff" this little yard has, so I might take a wander over there next time I'm shopping for cheap steel. Aluminum is going for $1.95/lb. here. Is that about standard, about twice what they're paying?

That's true, and I try to get top dollar for my junk while paying mere pennies on the dollar for theirs. ;) There's a $5 word for that but I can't think of it right at the moment. I just got up. <yawn>
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
I have pipe from 2" - 6" dia.about 6' long and they are damn near 1/4" thick. I hand pick out the ones I want, some of the pipes have a lot of slag of some kind baked in to the pipes so I leave them behind. They have truck hitches that can be separated for the sq tube..
What a candy store to hit on.
Don D.
spake:

Larry, About 2 weeks ago I was out to white city metals and the aluminum, brass and stainless had gone up to $2.50 a lb and steel scrap up to .35 a lb. Just so you aren't shocked. Give me a holler if ya make it down and have the time. Glenn
spake:

If steel is making a price hike in the scrap yards then I better hall butt to grab what I can.
spake:

I have a pile of OD green painted 3/8" about 14x18" aluminum plates, I guess it is time to look into selling them. Thanks for the tip. I need one plate for my generator control panel though, but the rest can go.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:53:31 -0800, the inscrutable "Glenn"

I'll be down there on Saturday March 5th for sure. The HF Sidewalk Sale is on and I gotskta get me wunna them electronical fly swatters. ;)
Ping me offline (with your phone and address) using the email address on my site, www.diversify.com
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications

Yes, the best way to store steel is to weld it into a project.
--
Ben Jackson
< snipped-for-privacy@ben.com>
Don D. wrote:

Too pretty. My welding table is composed of 80% stuff I dragged out of the former owners' scrap pile and the rest bought for the pound at the local steel surplus. I would have been able to make it out of 100% scrap except that I hadn't yet found the dead boat trailer in the back 40 when I made it.
The only deficiency at the moment is that I haven't yet bolted it to the wall for those times when I need to really whack something hard in the vice.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

<top posting fixed>
Don D. wrote:

> It may be too pretty to you but it was cheep to build. The 1/4 plate was cut > out of a 36" X 48" that was out of the scrap yard all grimed and weld cuts > and total greasy. It looked like it was a base from a work table that they > torched into sheets. I have a lot of grinding to the top to remove all the > torching from separating everything.. I bought 2 plates for $70.00, so that > piece cost about $12 - $15.00, a set of wheels for $8.00, 1 20' 1.5 angle > $17.00, and 1.25 flat for $12.00??? and a few grinding wheels > The Sq tubing was a FREEBEE > 2 days work just tinkering > I have a 1/2 hp motor bolted on it now with a 8" stiff wire wheel until I > can get a station built for the wire wheel and the belt sander. > I have it drilled for a large vise also... > I can say it is not pretty now, it is getting a work out every weekend and > some nights. > Don D. >
Actually I was responding out of spite and jealousy -- my table doesn't have the natty cutting area off to one side, although I suppose I could add it.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services