Hex head vs hex socket head

I bought some Philips drivers that have laser-cut "teeth" so they bite in on the sides. Better than nothing.

And Robertson, of course, especially with the genuine hardened bits.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I like the PoziDrive type screws which can take either Phillips or Square drivers. Of the many types of Phillips screw heads, I adore the ACR drives. They damnear prevent camout...while they're fresh.

Ditto both.

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
clare

I had a real good way of removing the seized phipips headlight screws. Grab the booster pack - clamp the negative to the headlight ring, and stick a welding rod in the positive. Jam the welding rod onto the screw head untill it (the screw head) glows red - then get the screwdriver in there and give it a twist.

Never failed for me unless someone had really chewed up the head first.

Reply to
clare

True... I live in S California and rarely deal with salt eaten stuff...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Yep. If we could only get them to think, The shank of the driver is very nearly the diameter of the screw head, it would improve the life of both. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

space is not a problem, how do you

Well... allen head or torx heads are harder to strip.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
Ignoramus3297

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
Ralph

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Do you have an example?

Ignoramus3297

The people who you *want* to keep out (the ones likely to shock themselves to death with an opened PC power supply) don't *know* that you can do that. They just know that for some reason their Allen wrench set does not work in the torx heads. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Or a file.

Ignoramus3297

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

HP/Agilent test equipment is full of them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I bet you've actually seen bunches of PoziDrive screws... they're easy to mistake for Phillips if you don't know what to look for. They have four marker 'dashes' radiating out from the inside corners of the recess... and do work with Phillips drivers, but not all that well.

Check here:

There is a drawing of the head on the left. Also, click to enlarge the photo of the gold plated screws on the right, and look close... see the marker dashes?

They're all over the place now... used with PoziDriv drivers, they rock.

The driver bits also look similar to Phillips, and are sized the same, #0, #1, #2, #3... Close inspection reveals four raised linear marker ridges down in the inside corners of the flutes.

Heres more photos... sorry about the long URL. (Or just search on 'pozidriv' in Google Image.)

Erik

Reply to
Erik

The bottom of my GE tea kettle. It quit working a few days ago and there are 3 screws holding on the base which would expose the thermostat and switch. One is spanner-style (an interrupted flat), two are regular phillips.

Some headlight adjusting screws, etc.