HF K-type thermocouple thermometer 92242

At $27 (with coupon) I couldn't resist this item, a Fluke-clone type K thermocouple probe:

I think this is a retail-store-only item as the number doesn't come up on
The handheld unit seems rugged and well made.

I had to take the first one back as it was off about +6 deg F on an ice- bath calibration test, and also comparing to my mercury lab thermometer at room temps. As always, the local HF store was happy to exchange or refund the purchase. They brought out another unit, and I sat them side by side on the checkout counter, and saw the proffered exchange was reading about right, so I accepted it.

They don't tell you what the insulation is on the probe line, but it certainly could not take the 2000 deg K temperature specified. Typical Chinese absurd spec. Seems to be PTFE or other high-temperature polymer, but not that high.

Connector seems to be the mini standard type, so I hope replacement probes from

(etc) will work with this. HF manual sez no replacement parts are available.

It does seem to respond well, and to maintain accuracy to the +/- 0.5 percent spec, so this should do well in HVAC and other applications for the thermocouple type probe.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Connectors and type K wire are available from MSC and Omega. Welding thermcouples is very easy to do using several techniques. Most HVAC work is done with type T or J, I forget which, because it is cheaper and quite sufficient for that temperature range. (I'm a retired Honeywell research puke...)

Reply to
Don Foreman