Type R thermocouple recycle in the UK

I recently helped with maintenance on a glass blowing furnace and the type R thermocouple was replaced. A type R is Pt Pt 13%Rh (Platinum Platinum with 13% Rhodium). I did a rough calculation on the material volume and reckoned the Pt might be worth £31 ($60) from the current value of about $1150/troy ounce, Rh at about $5000/troy ounce although I didn't take the Rh into account as it could be considered a contaminant. I was wondering if it would be normal to recycle such a small quantity and who might be best to approach for it. I suggested to the owner of the thermocouple that they ask the company TC direct as they supplied the replacement.

Reply to
David Billington

UK - Try a local jeweller for one-offs, Cooksons for a moderate amount or Johnson Matthey for huge quantities.

It is hard to dispose of small quantities of bullion (even in Essex). There was a =A3200 blob in a friend's kitchen the other day, after a bit of smelting and recovery work. It might turn into inlay or flintlock touchole liners one day, but it didn't seem practical to sell it for just that small quantity without wasting much of it in one-off handling fees.

Reply to
Andy Dingley