Eurotherm Temperature Indicators

I have a Eurotherm panel mounting temperature indicator - the standard sized 95mm x 48mm front panel often seen in process instrumentation. Most of the type number and s/n are obliterated but in the past some kind soul has written 0/1999 Pt Rh TOH ( that H could be a greek mu) so I assume it is intended for a Platinum / Platinum Rhodium resistance element with a range of 0 to 1999 deg C. Needless to say I don't have the sensor element !

But looking at the RS site I see two types, 100 ohm and 1000 ohm - is there any way of telling which type is right for this instrument?

Shame really as I would much prefer it to be a 'type K' as I want to measure lowish temps (20 - 50 deg C)

Any clues welcome.


Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Loading thread data ...

Why not try Eurotherm?

Eurotherm Limited

Faraday Close, Durrington, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3PL

Tel: +44 (0) 1903 268500

Fax: +44 (0) 1903 265982


URL: http//

formatting link

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

formatting link
this thread:
formatting link

Reply to
Myford Matt


Platinum resistance probes are different to a thermocouple type which is probably what you are after.

With a resistance type meter you can stick a 100 ohm resistor across the input and the device should read 0 degrees C. The thermocouple type of probe generates a small voltage ( 10 to 40 microvolts per degree C) across joint of the two dissimilar metals which are welded together at the probe tip.


Reply to

which is




Didn't bother Eurotherm as I cannot quote a type number.

Yes I've just realised that the RS probes are infact platinum resistance elements and not Platinum / Platinum Rhodium thermocouples as needed.

However Ebay has come to the rescue with an identically sized (so fits same hole) instrument that takes type K thermocouples BRAND NEW for £10 - less than I'd have to pay for the thermocouple for the other instrument



Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If you want to measure 20-50 degrees I would suggest looking again for a resistance thermometer solution, unless you're not particularly paranoid about accuracy.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Slightly OT but perhaps interesting (or not!), Eurotherm use to be one of our larger customers in my old moulding company which recently closed. We made 17 components for the chassis of their chart recorders, then drilled and ultrasonically assembled them. However in the last 12-18 months the volumes dropped quite rapidly as they went over to more microprocessor instruments with a screen instead of paper recorders. I popped down on a sales visit to chat about the future only to be told that they would be closing one of the 2 Worthing based operations, and maybe both in the near future and move manufacturing over to China.

Not so much a cost saving as a logistics exercise. They were buying in about 60% of their components from China and then re-exporting about the same amount of finished instruments to the Chinese market, so it made little sense to make the things over here.


Reply to
Peter Neill

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.