Dobbie-McInnes Indicators

I've had an email from a gent whose father was with D-M for some years after the war (2nd) and he is looking to try and date some of the earlier instruments that the company makes.

My late father worked for Dobbie McInnes in 1947-51, as assistant works > manager and co-head of development. As I inherited the interest in the > company, I've been trying to date individual instruments on the basis of > serial number. I have little doubt that, with a few exceptions, the > indicators were numbered in a single sequence. > > I noticed that you show an early Design No. 1 with what looks like the old > McInnes logo in the vulcanite sheathing. I suspect these indicators > pre-date 1903, but have only seen one (DS1 1693). Do you know if yours has > a lower number than this?

We have a small collection of indicators, and two are the DS1 units. One is in the 7000's serial number, but the other one was serial 735, nicely below John's known unit.

I know a few of us have indicators secreted away somewhere, could you check and see what the type and serial numbers are please?

A typical DS1 unit is at:

Note the McInnes name moulded into the vulcanite at the base. The serial number is stamped into the top face around the other side of the main nickel-plated arm, usually in two places.

Any information given is for John's personal use only, and I can give John's email address to anyone who doesn't want to make their own unit's details public.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes