HF pipe threader any good?

Harbor freight has a 5 piece ratcheting pipe threader set for $19.99 -
is this also made of pot metal or may it actually last for say about
20 3/4" pipes - both ends?
Just to avoid going to the store to have it done in an emergency.
Reply to
nomail
You are correct - the problem is that my need is for a possible future emergency. I would be out over $50 and don't even know where to start looking other than Sears Crapman .. mike
Reply to
nomail
:So I guess nobody here has used this HF item successfully?
I have one. As indicated, the dies are cr*p. You'll find you have to file a short taper on the end of the pipe in order to get the die started and plan on the cutting requiring WAY more effort than it should, but yes, you can cut the occasional thread with this kit. For 20 pieces X 2 ends on 3/4" pipe, though, I'd sooner take them to somebody with a real pipe threader and pay him to do the job. I think that would be pretty much an all-day job with the HF threader (depending on how fast you can curse).
Reply to
Robert Nichols
So you actually have the pipe threader HF# 30027 at $19.99 and it actually works on steel pipe - but not well. Thanks for responding. 20 pipes x two ends was my TOTAL expected life of this piece of precision crap. Likely 1 or 2 pipes at a time in a rental unit.
Have you used proper cutting oil or just regular motor oil? I can live with a little grinding to start the thing.
Do the threads fit fittings well? Any broken teeth on the die yet?
mike
Reply to
nomail
: :So you actually have the pipe threader HF# 30027 at $19.99 and it :actually works on steel pipe - but not well. :Thanks for responding. :20 pipes x two ends was my TOTAL expected life of this piece of :precision crap. Likely 1 or 2 pipes at a time in a rental unit. : :Have you used proper cutting oil or just regular motor oil? :I can live with a little grinding to start the thing. : : Do the threads fit fittings well? Any broken teeth on the die yet?
It's been a few years since I bought it, but that sure looks like the same item. I've used it maybe 4 or 5 times (total # of ends threaded). Yes, I used dark, smelly cutting oil from the plumbing supply store. The threads fit fine, no problem there, and no broken teeth.
Reply to
Robert Nichols

Site Timeline