Homier metal bender any good?

I'm pondering the purchase of a bender at the Homier sale this weekend. Their hand bender with stand is $39.95, a no-brainer if it's worth anything at all. #04595 Compact Bender, 48 pounds.

Is this a real POS or a worthy buy, guys?

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The answer is definitely, yes, no, maybe, and it depends.

My experience with a lot of tools of this type is that a person uses it about eight times in his lifetime, or they like it and outgrow it. So, you are either gonna love it for the occasional job it does, or will find its limitations.

Hossfeld benders have many many many attatchments for bending all sorts of stuff. I guess a well stocked shop would lay out $ome $erioius ca$h for a full set of tooling on the chance that they might need them all at one time or another. It would be different for the home garage mechanic.

So, we try to find a compromise that will do what we want to do.

Work with it. Read the instructions. (!) (what a concept for the hypertestosterone impaired) It will probably do more than you can, and if you outgrow it, by then, you will have made enough money on it to buy what you want to fill in the areas where it is lacking.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:44:42 -0700, the inscrutable "SteveB" spake:

Off your meds again, I see. ;)

I figured it'd pay for itself in one project.

Thanks, Steve. That's just what a toy^Hol collector like me needed to hear.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've seen one at their truckload tool sale and it looks nearly identical to the one I bought from Harbor Freight. They're pretty handy to have on hand. I've even made a die for bending 3/4" square tubing with it and it works great!

My only complaint is that the pins bend too easily but one of these days I'll probably replace them with 5/8" hitch pins and that should solve the problem. :-)

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:14:07 GMT, the inscrutable "Keith Marshall" spake:

Thanks for the heads-up and tip, Keith.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
diamond35c

It was actually so simple I never did drawings or anything. Here's a link to a message I posted describing it a couple of years ago:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

If you are onto a project that will pay for a full Hossfeld setup, I am impressed!

Go for it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 06:35:27 -0700, the inscrutable Larry Jaques spake:

UPDATE: I went to the truckload tool sale this morning, stood in line for half an hour, then filed in with the rest of the herd. After 20 minutes and 3 rings around each aisle and stack, I came to the stunning conclusion that THERE WERE NO BENDERS AT THE SALE despite the ad showing them. I then stood in the line to the cashier since there were no Homier guys on the floor. After another 20 minutes, I got to a cashier and asked him if they could check for the item. "Well, it should be out there in the middle of the floor in one of those stacks." was all I got out of him. He had no way to check, nobody to check with, and no clue as to what the term "customer service" meant. I left with a single item, a $2 umbrella for my neighbor. GDMFBASOBs.

Homier Corporate will be getting a nice letter from me in the very near future.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:23:50 -0700, the inscrutable "SteveB" spake:

Um, I was referring to the $40 Homier bender which they were rude enough to advertise but not take to the sale with them.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They seem to be doing that more and more lately. I've hit about 6 of their shows over the last couple of years and each time they have less and less of the larger items. They rarely have the lathes and I don't think I've seen one of the mini mills in the last 4 shows. They also used to have MIG welders and even the occasional plasma cutter but all they had like that at the last auction was a tiny stick welder. They even had tractors at one sale a year or so ago.

They're selling from smaller and smaller buildings too so I guess that's part of the problem but their shipping is outrageous so I doubt I'll ever buy anything from them that I can't get at the local sale.

Is there a Harbor Freight store anywhere near you? They have their bench model on sale for $50:

It should be the same except for the base and I made my own base anyway because I have a square stake set in concrete that I can set it on for use along with a small tire changer and a plate shear I don't have room to mount permanently.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

"Larry Jaques" wrote

When I have found myself in similar situations, I do the meanest thing I can think of. I leave with all my money. I do try to tell someone before I leave why I am leaving, and that they won't be getting any of my money. Usually, all you get is a lackey with a blank stare. Letters to the company usually get a reply from a remote lackey, but occasionally get you some action.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Sun, 01 May 2005 03:03:51 GMT, the inscrutable "Keith Marshall" spake:

Fewer and fewer, too, huh?

I saw one mini-mill, one larger mill, a few large floor drill presses, one tractor w/ bucket and 2 PTO-tillers for same, and a lot of really nasty furniture.

I think the building was about 40x80' here. Yeah, it's $32 and change for shipping that bender to me. Screw that, and screw their shows.

Yeah, 25 miles away, thanks.

I wonder if I take the ad into the HF store if he'd give me that price on either model...I'll have to try that.

P.S: Why the top-posting? Quote for context and toss the rest for a much easier read.

She may seem a little flighty, || Full Service Websites but she wears a green gauze nighty, || PHP Applications And she's good enough for me." || SQL Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wow, that was a big one!! They didn't have any of that stuff at the last one I went to... except for the furniture maybe. :-)

My local store has always been happy to honor online sale prices but they won't normally give you a different item for the same price unless they're out of the one that's on sale. They may give you a better price on the floor model though. They often put them on sale for half price which would be about $65 for this one:

That's what I used to do before a couple of people bitched at me for not leaving the whole message so they could follow what was going on. I hate bottom posting because, with my newsreader at least, it makes it a lot more trouble to go through all the new messages but some people insist it's the ONLY way you should do it. So now I quote for content as you suggested and often leave the full message on the end and people are welcome to read it or ignore it. Unfortunately there are a ton of different ways to do it and no one way makes everyone happy so I just kind of do my own thing. :-)