Homier Mill Question

Just got my mill today! Picked it up at the freight dock, brought it home and uncrated it. First, I must say, it was packaged extremely well. I was very impressed. Packaging was 10 times better than the way my Homier lathe was packaged. Anway, what I am used to seeing as a drawbar was not included. There was a piece of threaded rod with a nut and a washer that was holding the taper and drill chuck in. Is this what they are calling their drawbar, or did I get shorted?

Reply to
Grady

That's what you get.

Reply to
Dave

Only iffen it don't reach all the way through the spindle. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:48:12 -0600, the inscrutable "Grady" spake:

What'd they nail you for the shipping, Grady?

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

har har har! Appreciate the input though. I have since learned that they call it a 3 piece drawbar. But, not from the manual that is for sure.

Reply to
Grady

From Homier to Oklahoma City was $58.35 on overnite truck lines. I saved a little bit by picking it up at their dock. It was actually cheaper than I thought it was going to be. The UPS on my lathe from Cummins (102 pounds) was $53.62. The mill shipping weight was 150 pounds. It was even strapped to pallet.

Grady

Reply to
Grady

You can get a one piece drawbar for your mill at

news.earthlink.net

You might want to check with your local fastener supplier. Our Emco mill came with a metric drawbar, and the boring head I bought had a 3/8X16 thread in the #2 MT tang. I was able to get a made in USA SHCS which made a perfect drawbar for about 8$. This was a "semi-special" which took a few days to get. Worked

*MUCH* better than the allthread and nut I was using, especially when it came time to remove the head.

Metric SHCS in the correct size is also available if we ever need a replacement.

GmcD =========================================

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

In my shop I use my bridgeport to make all kinds of parts including parts for other tools, parts for my race cars, etc.

What are you guys making on the mini mills?

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan and Diana Reid

You were much luckier than me. I ordered their band roller back in October - paid $99 for it and some $45 shipping. Looked like a good deal even with the steep shipping charges. When it arrived it was missing several parts - actually everything that wasn't bolted securely to the main body. The packaging was a bad joke. Homier blamed it on poor handling by FedEx and had it picked up and sent me out another. When the replacement arrived it was pretty much the same story but the replacement was only missing the top roller and an end bearing. I have been regularly corresponding with their customer service ever since about replacing the missing parts but ETA is now end of February. They claim to have had no more in stock since shipping mine even though I have noticed Homier selling them from their store on Ebay. These people seem to do much better when selling off the back of a truck.

Reply to
Terry Mayhugh

Mostly small stuff, and it's handy when I've got something else set up in my vertical. Not too bad if you take your time and don't try to crowd it much.

But then, crowding a 1/8" end mill probably isn't a good idea on any machine.

Greybeard

Reply to
Greybeard

My first preference is always to buy when I can see something, even if it means paying a little more. I now tend to inspect medium to large pieces before leaving a store. I read a story of a guy that bought a 19 flat panel lcd monitor from Best Buy, like $750 bucks. It appeared to be a factory sealed carton. Got it home, and opened it, and there was a board duct taped to a brick. Took it back, and they had the attitude that we dont know that you did not take it home and do this yourself. Last story I heard he did not get any relief, and was out the money. So, I learned from his problem.

Reply to
Grady

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:35:29 -0600, the inscrutable "Grady" spake:

It's $111.52 to Oregon, which puts it more expensive than the HF equivalent.

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Were you pricing delivered to your home or picked up at the freight terminal?

Reply to
Grady

You got the standard item from Homier. Check

for a onepiece replacement.

Great little mill for those small jobs, being a model maker, that is all I use mine for.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:12:58 -0600, the inscrutable "Grady" spake:

Good question. I forgot. Let's see...

ESTIMATED SHIPPING OVERNITE to Zip Code 97526 $111.21

*This is a single item estimate only. Actual charges may vary depending on final destination and combined shipping. Multiple items may be shipped in combination to reduce shipping charges.

I'm guessing that Overnite is a company, not a service. And, of course, the 800 number is only good M-F, 8am-4pm so I can't check it right now, while I'm thinking about it.

-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques