HF Mini Lathe - Ready To Step up Already

Since when does _more than double_ constitute "a fairly small step in price"?

Reply to
Doug Miller

>the-45861.html

When the other options are 4x and up.

Reply to
Pete C.
[ ... ]

Hmm ... you know that now that you have fixed and re-faced the faceplates, you can turn the concentric grooves back to depth too. They are useful when centering a workpiece prior to clamping it in place on the faceplate.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Congrats on the recent shop addition. Making improvements/upgrading parts is all good practice, IMO.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I have a 10x24 Enco, made in the 1980s. Good machine. I use it most of the time rather than my Logan, which I just sold.

Reply to
RBnDFW

HF and others, such as Lathemaster, also offer a 8x14 lathe. It is reportedly much heavier and better made than the 9x20. I have not seen one, and they are not as well known or supported, but might be worth a look. I have seen them for under $500 new, but it's been a while. Still, there's those 20% coupons.

Reply to
RBnDFW

It is a good machine. I fitted an outboard 5C collet holder to it and use that about 90% of the time. I also tossed the garbage motor that came with it and installed a 1hp 3phase motor and VFD.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jim, What type of outboard 5C did you use?

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

Mine came with a collet chuck, one of those that spins to lock. That is one reason this lathe gets used more.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Is it a 4C? Mine also came with an adapter and drawbar for 4C, but I much prefer the 5C holder that I fitted to it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Nice to hear from you, Chuck.

I just bought the cheapest plain-back key-tighten holder that I could find on ebay. I had to make the backplate as my spindle thread is a bit odd. I can hunt down a pdf of the drawing if you are interested.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks. Maybe later.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

I found the 9x20 HF on sale in one of my catalogs for $300 off with fewer accessories. Backordered on-line and 300 more than the sale price. At the store was told it's a internet only item. The only 20% off coupon I have found so far is in-store only. I'm just going to start putting aside a little cash plan to order a jet.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Can't remember where you're located anymore...

Wholesale Tool sells basically the same lathe. See:

or for a bit more:

They have several locations, maybe something not too far away?

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The more I look into it the better the Jet looks. Comes with lots of stuff including a stand, chucks, centers, steady rests, and free shipping. The net price for comparable HF or WTT just doesn't add up when you add in a stand and freight. I guess I'll be getting a Jet.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If you are talking about the 9x20 lathe, you may not like the stand. I bought one of those stands locally with the intention of mounting an Atlas 618 on it. That stand was made for a midget!

Reply to
RBnDFW

Ditto. And for a 10 lb lathe. I did not dare to mount the lathe on it. Watch out for the 4-jaw chuck: If it is the old version like came with mine it is a pain. You will be replacing it soon.

Free shipping is good...

Reply to
Michael Koblic